Our Hometown

Marlie looked up at the midday sky while reminiscing about how the sky in Europe looked. The endless nights of her staring yonder from her dorm room window. It felt lonesome though she was close with her roommates. Cold even on the nights when people went out to warm up. Empty though her shelves were full with items.

"In Cambridge, you couldn't see the stars. The city was too bright." The suns rays broke through the branches and leaves of the large tree that hovered over them. "They say the world gets ten percent brighter every year. More business and machines. It'll engulf us all."

Morgan sat in silence as he laid back, ankles crossed, with his eyes closed in the bed of his truck. Marlie sat with her legs crossed and palms rested behind her to hold up her upper body weight. Every now and then they would snuggle deeper into their jackets and sweaters when the breeze kicked up. It wouldn't be too cold around this time of year. It doesn't get too cold in Texas at all. That's what Marlie missed the most.

"It never got too warm. The weather would be like this for months and drop slow and steady. Here, we eat breakfast in the cold and finish our bacon in the heat."

"As long as you stay in Texas, I don't care how ya feel about the weather." He slightly opened his eyes and turned his head to look up at her. She was still staring up at the sky with her dark shades on and her full lips were relaxed. "What's it? Four hours between us? Better than a twelve hour flight."

Marlie leaned off her palms to dust her hands on an empty area of the back of the truck. "My mom was able to visit me once. With my dad's heart problems, him flying at high altitudes would've been bad for him. Don't think I want to move somewhere that I can't have both of them in my life."

Morgan propped his head up with the palm of his hand and his elbow. She turned to see the expression on his face and he was smiling at her. Fighting back a grin, her blushed cheeks gave away the truth. "Waiting for reason number two."

She shrugged, "you." He looked content with her answer so he sat up in the same position she was in. "Why are you so crazy?"

"I don't know honestly. I'm thinkin' I've learned from the best. You weren't always miss innocent now." She tossed her hair off her shoulder and made sure it hit him. "Puh-leese! Got in so much trouble behind ideas that were all yours. I just saved you cause Drewson hits hard as fuck"

"And I thank you for that." She wrapped her arms around his waist and pulled him into a hug. He returned the favor but with his arms around her entire head. "Remember when I was taller than you?"

"Oh, yeah. In the sixth grade? That only lasted one year."

"No! We were the same height until freshman year. That's when you grew with no remorse. It was always a competition with you."

"Can't help myself. I'm a winner by blood." They both partially pulled away from the hug so they could see the look on each others faces. Only smiles that reached from ear to ear could be seen. "You know who told me that? First football game."

Without warning, Morgan leaned in and planted a kiss right on her forehead. Both stunned for a few seconds, Marlie eased the moment and leaned back a bit but tilted her head upwards. Morgan took her chin by two fingers and tilted her head upwards some more. She closed her eyes as he leaned in slower and planted his lips right on hers. Both of their hearts beating through their rib cage pulled them closer together. Marlie didn't know if she was dreaming or did Morgan really push her through time without trying.

She parted her lips to increase the speed of this journey. He took this opportunity and boy did he run. His tongue danced with hers as their hands had a tight grip on the others clothes as if they could get any closer. His hands left her sweater and jumped straight to her hair. Slightly pulled and tugged until a soft moan escaped her lips. He then moved to her waist and lifted her from her spot to swing her around onto his lap. Their contact broke briefly but picked back up like it never left at all.

Marlie pushed her chest against his and he slowly leaned back until they were flat on the truck bed and her still on top of him. Her waist moved circles against his and the cool weather became too hot to breathe. The second she grabbed his wrist to move his hand off her hips and to her breast, Morgan quickly pushed her back.

"Oh, fuck, what are ya doing?" They both took a moment to assess the situation then quickly peeled themselves away from each other.

"God, I'm sorry! I know it's wrong!" Marlie covered her face in embarrassment.

"But it didn't feel wrong, Marls!"

"'Cause we're wrong! Two wrongs don't know a right!" Her voice was muffled into the palms of her hands and it took Morgan peeling her hands apart to expose the tears on her face. "You're getting married in a few months!"

Morgan's face dropped as that reminder hit him face first. "Don't say that. You know you don't want that anyway."

"But it's not about what I want. It's about what's happening. Fooling around in the trunk of your car... we're not teenagers anymore." She pulled her knees to her chest and tried to go back to when her eyes were on the sky and nothing could take them away. Morgan wrapped his arms around her body and she melted into him.

His forehead rested on her temple and they closed their eyes simultaneously as their breathing synchronized. "What are we doin'? Fightin' what's meant." She hummed at his soft voice hitting her ear. "Fuck the town, Marls. It was always you. This proves it all."

It could happen. They could end all their future plans and just worry about each other. Seemed easier said than done. Hurting his fiancée. Staying in this town. The things that pulled them apart could become a problem of the past. But changes don't come without consequences.