It Pours

The weeks would be days soon. Cora was six months along when Marlie told her she'd be headed to central Texas. She cried out as if she was giving birth then a smile of joy spread across her face. In no way was she mad at Marlie's decision. Cora wanted out since she was a little girl. But with James and his roots in the gasoline business, she wasn't going anywhere.

"And you told Morgan?" Marlie nodded slowly. "Oh shit. How did he take it? It's like you're going to Europe all over again."

She chuckled when Cora's eyes widened in anticipation of the story. "Well, he took it well. Best believe 'cause it is a lot closer than Europe. I also just wanted to be close to my parents, you know. I want to stay in the city too."

"I think it fits you. You came back talkin' like we ain't never heard before. People come and say we have an accent and now I know what they felt like." The two shared a laugh the moment Cora tried to mock Marlie. "How do you say it? Can't you see I'm telling you something!"

"You do know those words have an "ing" at the end. We're actually the ones talking wrong. And slow too. My roommate said we talk way too slow."

"What does she know? All her words get jumbled around speaking like a motorboat."

The conversation went quiet when they saw a truck speed to a stop right in front of Cora's house. Dirt kicked up in the air and Cora held her belly as she pulled herself up from the steps using the rails on the stairs. Abigail jumped out of the front seat with her cowgirl boots on, jeans, and a flowing white shirt. Despite her glowing appearance, the frown on her face said otherwise.

"What do you think you're doing kicking up my sidewalk like that!" Marlie quickly stood up and stepped in front of Cora the moment her voice grew in depth.

"I'm here to talk to Marlie! Not you!" She pointed right between Marlie's eyes that were bucked out of her head. "I just have a few questions. No need to look at me like you're crazy."

Cora scoffed and gave her belly a rub. "Seems like your tone is about to lead to some actions. This is a open carry state."

Marlie shook her head in disbelief and stepped down the stairs so Abigail wouldn't get any closer than Cora would have liked. "What's going on, Abigail? Is Morgan okay?"

"That's the fuckin' problem! Why are you so concerned with my fiancé? Huh?! You been all over him since you stepped out that Nissan of y'all's! I've had enough of it!" Marlie sputtered and stumbled over air since her words weren't forming. "Uh uh... I see. You the reason he ain't been home? Gone head and say it darling. Admit you're a whore that's chasing after everyone's man! We saw you in the front seat with Coby! Just a whore you are!"

Cora almost jumped off the first step to defend Marlie who was too stunned to stop her. "Marlie? A whore?! And what are you!? Don't act like we ain't seen them videos of you and the seniors! Morgan should be embarrassed he even touches you!"

Abigail's eyebrows were so tight they almost touched. Her little hands balled into fists but the glare lasted temporarily for Cora. It was now aimed at Marlie. "You stay the fuck away from my fiancé, Bennett!" She then looked at Cora whose arms were crossed over her chest. "And you look like a meatball!" She stormed back off to her truck and used one foot to launch her into the front seat since it was quite a tall step. "And don't act like I don't keep one on me miss thang!"

The two stood outside as Abigail floored it down the street leaving a smoke cloud in the air. Cora didn't waste to seconds before she turned on her heels and rushed back inside. Marlie followed behind her with only one thought going through her head. "Do not call Morgan. There's no need for none of that!"

"To hell I ain't! He needs to keep that girl under control. Ever since she got my grandma's ring, she'd been prancing 'round here like she owns the place." She grabbed her cell phone off the counter and hastily unlocked it with shaky hands of pure fury. "Now she comes on to my land. Threatening my life. In my grandmama's ring!"

The moment the phone pressed against her ear, Marlie thought she would faint. The last thing she wanted was Morgan and Abigail ripping through the town at each other over accusations and a mistake. She didn't know if Morgan would get fed up and admit his mistakes or protect her like he as in the past. She was still trying to figure out his loyalty in her life.

"Yeah! You won't believe what your so-called princess just came up here and did!" She looked back at Marlie and then nodded. "Yeah, she's right here." Cora was quiet for a while as she tapped a foot on the wooden floor. "You bet it. We'll be over there in fifteen minutes."

Marlie breathed out the moment Cora hung up the line. "What did he say?"

"Said to meet him over on his land. He wants to talk about it in person."

About twenty men and a few women were slinging hammers, drilling holes, looking at blueprints, and even chilling with something light to drink in a paper bag. Of all the faces, Marlie caught her eyes on only one. Morgan peeled off his hard hat as he jogged over to the two girls whose shoes were too clean to step on the thick wet dirt. He smiled as he gave Cora a hug, kissed her belly, and then gave Marlie a hug with all his strength.

"So what's goin' on? I could hardly hear you over the phone."

"Your fiancee threatened to shoot us both in the face behind your ass! That's what happened!"

His face dropped when he looked at Marlie to confirm and she did. "What the hell? Over wh-" He then sighed before lifting his hat all the way in the air to slam it down to the dirt with all his strength. "She just fucked me sideways, ya know that? She's telliin' her parents I'm fucking around with Marlie and that shit ain't true. The whole towns gonna know and when mom and dad find out-"

"You tell them the truth," Marlie interrupted. "You tell them the whole truth. The three of us know what's going on and they're not going to believe her over their own son. So fuck them and fuck this town."

Morgan broke out into forced laughter. "You can say that 'cause you're not gonna fuckin' be here, Marls. The rest of us have to sit here and face our problems. You get to up and run away!"

Cora grabbed his wrist when he turned to walk away then forced him to face her. Her finger was then an inch from his face as she scolded him loud enough that the drilling noise couldn't cover it. "Hey! You do not get to take this out on her! This wouldn't be a thing if you stay your ass at home instead of sneaking off to them bars all night. Now fucking apologize, Morgan!"

He sighed while taking off his safety vest and tucking a corner into his back pocket. "You know I don't have no issue sayin' sorry to ya. I do apologize. It's not even you Marls. It's me and Cora is right." He stepped past the both of them and headed straight to his truck. "Imma text ya, alright!"

Cora stuck a thumbs up and stuffed her hands into the pockets of her fall dress. "It's alright being the oldest," she beamed.