When It Rains

Morgan tossed his laptop into the empty space next to him when Abigail came twirling out of the restroom with a sheer pink robe on that covered her white lace lingerie. She looked over at him with seductive blue eyes before starting at the end of the bed and crawling to the top. Stopping right in between his legs, she grabbed his ankles and pulled them apart. "Tell me all the things you want me to do to you baby."

He looked around to find any item that could trigger his sexual fantasy but all he saw was perfume, a television, and his reflection in their dresser mirror. His mind went blank for the first time since they'd shared many spontaneous nights in bed. He would usually be all about her walking out of their bathroom with little on, but for some reason he couldn't focus.

"Come on," she moaned while running her hands up and down his thighs and leaving small kisses near his crotch. When she felt his leg muscles tense, she tossed her hair out of her face to look up at him. "What the fuck?! Am I doin' somethin' wrong? You love groin kisses..." She then covered herself with her robe and sat down on her knees.

"No, it's not you. Finals for this semester is comin' up and I haven't even studied once. Come December time, I'll be ready, okay?"

She pouted before giving in and handing him back his laptop that was placed next to him. "I'm sorry, babe. I forgot about your master's program. You been too busy at bars and hanging out with Coby that I thought you might've dropped out."

"Why would I do that when I need this for the oil field job?" She giggled when he dug his knuckles into her side. "We gotta make money to finish my house."

"Our house," she corrected. "I was sure you said both our names was going on the land."

Morgan grimaced the moment Abigail rested her head on his chest to see what was showing on his laptop. "Oh, yeah. I talked to my mom about it and she said she'll think about it. She really just wants to sign it over to me though. It is my family's land."

Abigail chuckled and gave his thigh a little rub. "We're getting married, darlin'. I'm your family now."

When he met Abigail, she had nothing but a cute smile and an adorable laugh. It felt like the perfect bubble to drown his sorrows in when school and work didn't distract him anymore. She never met his parents. He'd tell Coby about her only when she started turning their pillow talk into serious conversations. When a baby fell into the mix, he panicked. Told his parents everything and they pressured him to make it right. Ask for the grandparents ring and put it on her finger sooner than later. Dates were made before he could bat his eyes and now he's on the verge of splitting his entire life with her.

Her.

"Yeah, that's right." He then opened up one of his assignments and continued to type out his answers. "So was it like... a false pregnancy test?"

"Huh?" She turned her head to face him abruptly. "Why are we talking about this now?"

Morgan tried not to break a sweat as her bright blue eyes turned dark. "I don't know. I've been tryna figure out how a baby disappears these past few months. You told me you weren't pregnant and dropped it."

In a frenzy, she got out of bed and stormed to the restroom without as so much as a look in his direction. Morgan knew he would have to find a way to make this up later, but he didn't have any ideas on how. All he knew was that when she was mad, the entire house wouldn't rest.

"You've been so different lately!" She shouted from the closed door. "It's that girl! It's fuckin' Marlie Bennett! That's all you guys talk about! What is she? Like town royalty?" The door flew open to reveal her in normal clothes and her hair in a thrown-together updo. "I'm gonna find out what the fuck is going on!"

Morgan quickly tossed himself out of the bed to grab her before she made it out the bedroom. She fought him on it but he wasn't letting her arms go anytime soon. "You're paranoid, babe! Marlie is my friend and that is all. No need to go around the town starting up this chaos. It's ten at night!"

"Where were you this morning, huh? You left outta here extra early. The guys said you didn't even go to help out on the lot and Becky at the bar hadn't seen you either. Coby don't have his own place and I know you damn sure didn't see Cora while her and James are arguin' their brains off!"

He groaned and let go of her wrist the second she dug her nails into his forearm. All he did was look at her with a warning in his eyes and she didn't back down. Her look struck ten times the fear in him since he didn't know who she knew and what she was arable of saying.

"You don't want this town knowin' your business. You go out there askin' questions and you'll come back with regrets bigger than a horse's shit. I promise you, Abby. You know it better than anyone." He raised his eyebrows at her and her face immediately softened.

"You're embarrassed by me. That's what it is." Her arms crossed over her chest when he cracked a smile. "That shit wudn't true, Morgan! I'm telling you!" He rolled his eyes as she begged with hers. "I can't believe this. I can't believe you! I'm goin' yo my mamas!"

With that information, he let her go. The moment she stormed out the front door is the moment Coby came in and was stunned to see the situation he barely missed. "What's going on 'round here?" Morgan couldn't do anything but laugh as Abigail slammed the door on their conversation. "You lit a fire under her ass, didn't you!"

"Man, I don't even know what is going on. She just started doing circles the moment I blinked. Accusing me of sleeping with Marlie and everything. She's gone shit crazy."

"'Cause she's jealous. Any girl would be if the woman her fiancé was steady talking about just returns to town. Then there's you going MIA at random times."

Morgan threw his hands up in the air while doing a partial turn in the other direction. "Not you too! I'm not hangin' with Marlie no all the time! I've seen her like a handful of times since she been back."

"What did y'all do those handfuls of times is more important than how many times you done seen the girl?"

The teacher slammed the door in his face the moment he started making excuses for being late to her class. He knew better than to try and squeeze his way in and use saving her son from a stray cat as a reason to go against school policy. Morgan felt defeated. He knew his parents would not play it nice after getting the third call of the week. He also knew he wouldn't change his decision for the world.

Marlie was his sunshine. He'd drop out of it meant he could follow her wherever she goes. By the way he looked at her and the way he cared about her, everyone knew that was his best friend and nothing could change it.

"What happen?" Coby came jogging down the hall with concern as he rested his back against the wall. "I saw you running across the street, man. Like you were running from the cops."

"It's those girls, Coby. They tripped Marlie in the hall and she hurt her wrist. I had to walk her all the way home. Thought I could make it back before lunch ended but the bell rung the second I stepped in the school. Now Mrs. Woodrow won't let me take the test."

Coby stood up briefly to peek inside the small glass window to the class and saw everyone had their heads down at the piece of paper. "They making a ton of brains like hers nowadays. You walkin' on thin ice with that one." The two of them settled in the hallway since Coby had no plans of going to class anyhow. "Whatcha tryna do now?"

"I should just go be with Marlie. I know she's lyin' to her parents about what happen. Want to back her up."

"You and Marlie, man. Someone's heart is bound to break."