A New Feeling

Day drinking was something Morgan wasn't a stranger to. He'd make a few calls and whoever was down would meet him at Wilson's with no issue. In this case, it was always Coby and this time James tagged along. No one was as stressed out as James. Cora was about ready to burst and she was either crying or screaming. He'd let his frustrations out as kindly as possible due to Morgan's sister being the topic of discussion.

"But I just can't wait for it to be over." Everyone clinked their mugs for James and took a gulp. "Did I tell you we have a few names lined up?"

A few others sat with the trio which was Joseph and Riley. They were regulars who often joined in to clear some things off their chest. Mainly came to take a girl home but that was only past ten o'clock. It was an hour past noon and the men wanted mainly to get drunk and go home to sleep. At least that's what was on Morgan's mind.

"What's the idea?" Morgan smiled weakly.

James grinned as he pulled out a piece of paper from his plaid shirt pocket. "Caroline or Stella. I'm leanin' toward Stella and Cora wants Caroline but Nadine gets the final vote."

Coby let out a deep beltch and slammed his mug on the table. "You know... I always pictured that life with Hayden. All the times she done loved me... or so she said. Then she jumped around with that guy of hers. I don't have a damn clue where all these people came from. Everyone jumpin' in relationships with unknowns."

"Small town but ain't that small. You just ain't never paid no 'tention." Riley gave him a hard pat on the back. "Let's talk about something for real. You young ones are real popular with the ladies around here. I want to know who was the best one in bed."

Morgan surely didn't have any urge to answer this question. It wasn't anyone's business and it sure wasn't Riley's. He couldn't figure out a reason why the question would even be thought of. "Why? So ya can smooth talk ya way into tryin' it out?" He chuckled.

"Maybe," Riley winked. "But seriously. It's all men here. I got a few trophies in my case."

"Y'all know Katie?" Coby immediately confessed. "The second girl I've ever been with and I've never forgotten."

Morgan's eyebrows furrowed as he thought back to who he could be talking about. Then he remembered all the girls Cora hung out with and Katie was always an eye catcher. "You told me you lost it when you were seventeen. That means she was long graduated by then." Coby nodded at Morgan with a smug grin on his face. "You also said she was... your first."

Coby's face dropped and Riley sat forward in his seat while Joseph stood to get another round of beer for them all. "And the truth is coming out," Riley squeaked into his palm.

Morgan dropped his defensive attitude and played it off with a smile. "It's fine. You don't have to tell me if you don't want. It must've been one of them easy ones right?"

Coby bit his lower lip while swirling around the small amount of beer in his mug. "She... uh, wudn't easy... just curious." He then winced before downing the last of his beer. "I don't know man. That was years ago and it was one time."

"It was Marlie." Morgan looked upside his head as he searched for any sign of guilt yet it was written all over Coby's face. "I know it because you tell me everything. That is the only reason you wouldn't tell me."

Joseph returned with the drinks but he soon realized the tension got worse. He carefully placed the beers off the tray before taking his seat with caution. "Maybe this be our last round?" He spoke up.

"You and her weren't nothing then and you ain't nothing now. It was nothing and she had her reason too. It meant nothing. You see? We're friends like nothing else."

Morgan scoffed. "You can't be friends with a girl you fucked." Coby sat up in his seat in complete bewilderment. "What was y'all doing in your car at my engagement party?"

"You fuckin' me sideways, Morgan?! We was getting higher than the dickens!"

"And now I'm supposed to believe you after you kept your lips shut all these years?" The music seemed to tone down and people on the dance floor grew distracted by the commotion occurring at the table in the back end of the bar. "Second she stepped off that plane she done nothing but lie and now she got ya doin' it too!"

The bartender walked over to their table and collected the beers from in front of Morgan and Coby's space. James stood up the moment Coby did and Morgan followed right after. "If y'all gone be fist fightin' in the next ten minutes you best take it outside or on the banned list you go!" The bartender hollered.

James grabbed Morgan and Coby by their arm and pulled them out the bar. What infuriated Morgan was the words that came out of Riley's mouth as he was being drugged towards the exit.

"That Marlie girl sure was playing the field." He then let out a chuckle and took some gulps from his beer.

"You two are not serious," James scolded as he released them out onto the sidewalk. "You can't let one experience five years ago tear a hole in this friendship. Now I believe Coby when he says his relationship with Marlie was purely platonic and I understand why you," he pointed at Morgan's chest, "are upset 'cause you love her."

Morgan rolled his eyes before they landed back on Coby. He knew deep down inside that Coby was telling the truth and he would never cross that if had the opportunity again. "I know man. My bad." They shared a sloppy hug and a few back pats which made James smile. "I'm sorry. I kinda wish I hadn't done it in front of Riley though. He's got a loose mouth."

James gave Morgan a pat on the back. "Nobody believes Riley. He's a fuckin' drunk." The three men walked back to their cars since their time at the bar was better off cut short.

Marlie would lay her head down for the seventh time in her king size bed that sat on the sixth floor of her downtown hotel room. She got tired of the view on day two so she spent her after work hours going to coffee shops to continue her apartment hunt. No matter which shop she went to, it never carried the same essence as the one at her hometown. They were all too neat and crisp. There didn't seem to be a spec of wear and tear that brought them any uniqueness.

She attempted to fall asleep against the cold pillow but her phone vibrating next to her head pulled her out of her zone. Coby's name was all she saw which concerned her since he rarely called.

"Hello?" She sat up in her bed when she heard his heavy breathing on the other end. "Coby? What's going on?"

"I just got back from a jog." This made Marlie look at the clock to see it was ten minutes until ten o'clock. "Just trying to clear my head 'cause uhm... Morgan knows now." Her heart fell to her feet as she was now sitting on her knees in shock. "You know they took Cora's lock off her door when she turned eighteen so now I'm scared he might go in there and strangle me in my sleep. Was gonna... shower and sleep in my car."

"Don't be dramatic." She let out a nervous chuckle. "He wouldn't care that much."

"You didn't see his face, Marls. He was sick almost. He would have had at me if James wasn't there. Hasn't spoken to me since even after the apologies." She heard his gulping down a drink which she assumed was water. "But I ain't wanna disturb you. Just wanted to let you know so you wouldn't be blindsided."

She dragged her hand down her face before falling backwards onto her pillow. "Yeah... thanks. I won't even mention it unless he does."

"But you know how he holds stuff in. Like a bomb that man is."