How To Move On

Marlie knew it was best to wait in the car even though Abigail's truck was nowhere in sight. She didn't want whatever was done to Morgan to be done to her but ten times worse. So she sat low and watched his shadow move about the house through the windows. When the time came for him to load his things in the car, he went out of the house in fresh clothes and wet hair. Right by his side was Coby who laughed loud enough for her to hear through the window.

Morgan lifted up his plain white shirt that fitted his body and showed the bruise to Coby who looked shocked to see it. The two threw two duffel bags in the back of the truck and parted ways. Coby entered the passenger side and Morgan the driver. "We're going day drinking at Rick's.

No one disagreed with the idea since a drink sounded good to anyone's ears about now. The radio blasted to avoid any quietness that might creep between the three. Coby knew all the words to the songs while Morgan tapped their steering wheel and Marlie swayed side to side. Ricks was located in the downtown area, fifteen minutes from the city limit lines.

Everyone jumped out of the truck and entered the bar to see a few familiar faces. Without a care in the world, the young adults greeted everyone with hugs and smiles before heading over to the bar. Morgan ordered his regular,m Coby a beer, and Marlie opted for something sweet. They sat in the bar stools and asked each other all the things they failed to do so with much that was going on. Marlie got to express everything she missed about Europe. Coby talked about another woman he had his eyes on. Morgan relayed his relief on the pressures of getting married flying out the window. They talked about their childhood, high school, and even plans for the future.

One drink turned to four and they were out on the dance floor. Coby snatched up someone's mom who didn't complain about the tall man walking her up and down the floor. Marlie and Morgan had each other and tried their best to stay an appropriate length away. Their bodies were elbow-length away. Marlie rest her hands on his shoulder and he rested his hands on her waist. "It's like middle school dances all over again," she joked.

"Mrs. Witicker was the worst. She carried a fuckin' ruler to those things." When Morgan laughed, he took a risky step closer. The length between the two slowly became nonexistent as more people gathered on the floor. "Drewson and Monica had this on repeat." He looked up at the speakers as did Marlie. "It got stuck in my head for years."

Abigail entered the house and dropped her purse right on the floor. After hearing her mother yell at her about all the things she did wrong, she knew the only advice was to come home and make it right. "Coby?" She called out since his truck was the only one parked out front. She searched the small one-story home and didn't find him. When she made it to the main bedroom, that's when she took the hint. Clothes were removed from drawers and Morgan's favorite shoes were missing.

Marlie wrapped her arms tighter around the back of his neck and rested her head against his chest. He gripped her waist a little tighter and rested his chin on the top of her head. "They said they could dance together forever. Really showed me what true love looked like." Morgan hummed in agreement as they swayed back and forth.

Coby came along and twirled the woman into a stop right into his chest. Her back pressed against his front as she closed her eyes and enjoyed the moment. Morgan and Marlie looked over at him and smiled. "'Cause there's nothin' like your love to get me high~," he sang right into their face.

A nervous breakdown was coming into play as she ripped the sheets right off the bed with no effort. She then belched her lungs out into a pillow before throwing it against the wall and knocking their engagement party photo right off the wall. Next was the shoes he left behind which were flung into the tub which she turned on to full pressure. Abigail ran into the kitchen and gathered whatever type of chemicals she could piece together.

"You're as smooth as Tennessee whiskey!" The three of them sang out loud.

The bleach container was emptied and tossed to the side and she followed it with the red and blue dye she used to make icing for her cupcakes. The fumes burned her eyes but the tears that left them did way worse damage than anything she could imagine. Once she looked down at her work, she let out another sob and then slammed the tub faucet off. Despite the mess she made, she noticed her heart was still broken into a million pieces. A million things came to mind on how to fix it.

Coby stuck his beer bottle in the air along with a few others who belched out the next line. "You're as sweet~ as strawberry wine!"

The front door kicked open as she stumbled off the front porch and tripped into the dirt of the front yard. Her arms were too weak to catch her, so face-first into the ground she went. Abigail didn't wait to pull herself up and sit on her bottom before letting out another deep cry. She then used her forearm to wipe the tears and yellow dust from her eyes then peeled herself up from the ground. She took a few more long strides to her truck and yanked open the back door to pull out her zipped-up bag.

"You're as warm~ as a glass of Brandy!"

"The television was turned to the loudest volume as she settled right in front of it. It took two seconds for her to get distracted by the gameshow playing before her, but it didn't slow her down. She unzipped her bag as she watched a woman win a thousand dollars. "Congrats," she spoke in a coarse voice. She couldn't even hear the clicking sounds and nor did she bother to look down and see if she was loading it right. The next thing she heard was the loading sound before she pressed the barrel under her chin.

Morgan looked away from Coby and to Marlie who smiled up at him with all her heart. "And honey I~ stay stoned... on your love... all the time." They rested their foreheads together as the instrumentation took them away.

"What do you deserve? Just get him because you deserve him. You know how." Her eyes clenched closed allowing the final tear to fall from her cheek. "Please fix it, mama."