Part 6

After that agonising meeting with the elders, it was time for you and Gaara's first "coupling activity." Baki handed you each a thick workbook, looking pleased with himself.

"There's all you need to know about getting to know each other and all that stuff, okay? Stick to that and you two will be happily married in no time," he said. "You know, we could've just had the wedding and gotten everything over and done with, but we all agreed that it was in both of your best interests to play the part as well as look it. The citizens aren't thick; they can tell a farce from a mile away. If we can get you two to at least befriend each other, then that in itself is an achievement. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to resume my duties outside the office. Have fun, you two."

Leaving you and Gaara alone in the room, you began flicking through the pages of the workbook he had given you, thoroughly unimpressed by its contents.

"What the hell? They expect us to follow instructions on how to fall in love?" you said in exasperation. "This is really stupid. Like, seriously. Why would they even?"

A look of disgust evident on your face, you looked up at Gaara, who was carefully reading the first page.

"I find this quite helpful," he said quietly, eyes scanning the page. Your jaw dropped.

"Gaara, love isn't something you can learn from a textbook! It's... it's supposed to be something you feel!" you exclaimed, unsure of whether or not he was joking. He looked up at you curiously, and you feel your face go hot as his gaze met yours.

"You sound like Naruto," he said quietly. You huffed, folding your arms across your chest.

"Don't know him and I don't need to. But I'm serious, Gaara. These books aren't gonna help us find love. For all you know, you could love someone else and not be aware of it because you can't identify it. Who's to say I'm the one you're supposed to fall in love with? Who's to say you don't already love another girl, or even another boy? Books aren't everything, Gaara, and they don't answer all our questions."

Gaara looked up at you, firmly shutting his book.

"Well don't you seem entirely versed on this matter," he said, leaning forward in interest. You reeled at his closeness and backed away instinctively.

"I know you don't want to do this, Gaara," you said in a cautious voice. He shrugged and leaned back, crossing his arms.

"Who's to say I don't? You never know until you give it a try."

You tilted your head to the side and forced a smile.

"You know what?" You grab the workbook Baki had given you and open it to the first page. "We'll do what this stupid book tells us to do, but if I feel like it's not going to get us anywhere, we'll do things my way. Deal?"

You held out your hand, and Gaara continued to look at you in curiosity. You returned his gaze, unwavering. 

A few moments passed, and finally, he withdrew with a small "hmph!" and reached out for your hand. You did the same and shook on it, before withdrawing seconds later.

[Name]... what the hell are you doing?