Part 28

"Daddy, look! I'm the new Ka-ze-ka-ge!"

You laugh as your three year old daughter Ai grabs her father's ceremonial hat and puts it on, struggling to pronounce the full title. It droops over her eyes, making both her parents laugh.

Running a hand through his crimson red hair, Gaara grins at his daughter from behind his desk, peering up from his mountain load of paper work to witness this new Kazekage. Ai viciously flings out a hand from under the hat, pointing at her father.

"Since I'm the new Ka-ze-ka-ge, you have to do what I say now, okay?" she says in a loud, demanding voice. You gently pat her shoulder with a smile, while Gaara chuckles and raises his hands in the air.

"Okay, okay, Lady Kazekage," he says, smiling and shaking his head. "What is your first command?"

Ai "hmph!"s and stamps one foot on the ground, making you titter even more. You and Gaara exchange looks of amusement while being bossed around by a three year old.

Ai unlatches her little hand from yours, and marches over to Gaara's desk.

"You, sir, are coming home right this instant!" she says loudly, tugging at his arm. "Come along now! I order you, as the new Ka-ze-ka-ge!"

You cross your arms and can't help but snort as Ai frog marches Gaara from his desk to your side, earning you a grin from your dearly beloved husband.

"But milady, I have unfinished work!" mock whines Gaara, hanging his head at being ordered by the "new Kazekage" to abandon his post. Ai puts her nose in the air and interlocks your arm with his, all the while adjusting the Kazekage hat so that she can see what she's doing.

"Don't second guess the Kazekage!" screeches Ai, pointing an accusing finger up at Gaara. The hat obscures her little face yet again, making you and Gaara laugh as he wraps his arms around your waist, nuzzling his head into your shoulder. You giggle, and Ai grins from under the hat, even though she can't see a thing.

"Oh, all right, Lady Kazekage," says Gaara, giving in to the new Kage. "I'll go home now. Is that all?"

The little Kazekage frowns and rubs her chin as if in deep thought.

"Mummy, is there anything else you need?" squeaks Ai, her voice returning to its usual little self. You laugh as Gaara rubs your slowly growing belly and shake your head.

"No, thank you, Lady Kazekage," you laugh, putting your hands over Gaara's. "I think we should all just head home for dinner, don't you think?"

Ai nods so violently the hat comes flying off at your feet, revealing her (your hair colour) hair in pigtails while her big, pale teal eyes look up at you with excitement. You and Gaara laugh at your daughter's enthusiasm for being able to finally spend some time together with her parents together. Gaara's schedule was often hectic and jam packed, as was expected of the Kazekage, which meant that by the time he got home late in the evening the two of you would be sound asleep.

Gaara lets go of you, and holds out one hand to Ai, who squeals and bounds forward, instantly grabbing it and interlocking her tiny fingers with his. She holds out her free hand to you, and you grab it, clasping your hand around hers. You bend your knees to pick up the hat, and hand it over to your husband, who puts it on.

"So, mummy, how big do you think Karura will be?" asks Ai, indicating your ever growing belly. "Wait- why are we calling her Karura? Why don't we name her after Temari or Risa?"

You smile gently and look up at Gaara, encouraging him to answer her question. He scratches the back of his head with his free hand and clears his throat.

"Well, you see Ai, Karura is my mother's name," he says softly, looking down at his daughter. "She was a strong, kind, loving woman. I hope that when our little Karura is all grown up, she'll be just as beautiful as my mother was."

Ai, who's looking up at him with wide eyes, nods enthusiastically.

"Wow," she breathes. She frowns, and looks as if she's thinking of something. You gently squeeze her hand.

"What's wrong?" you ask, looking at her. She looks first at you, then at Gaara.

"After Karura, can I have a little brother? Please?" she begs, making you and Gaara stare at each other in initial surprise. You laugh while Gaara looks down at her, with an evil smirk on his face. You roll your eyes and poke your tongue out at him.

"We'll try, Ai. We'll try."

With that, the three of you continued your way home, ready to spend a rare but happy evening together for once.

As a family.