𝐁𝐎𝐊𝐔𝐓𝐎 + 𝐀𝐊𝐀𝐀𝐒𝐇𝐈

Requested by bokutosloudpeestream
p. s what a great user name.

  He can't tell if it's jealousy of their relationship, or fear that his loudmouth friend is being pulled away by his crush.

Akaashi knew he had no right to be upset, no right angry as his friend invited the boy he loved to watch their practice, and yet he was. You sat in the corner, by their coach on the bench, giving Bokuto a little wave and a smile every time the team scored.

Every now and then, Akaashi would catch your eye, he would watch as your fingers danced in a flirty little wave, your cheeks would flush slightly and you'd smile as he'd hit the ball. Sometimes he wondered if these moments were just for him. As though you were cheering him on, smiling for him, spending an extra hour a day at school just to walk home with him at a sport your not very interested in.

Because Akaashi knew you, he knew your hate for sports, mostly cause you were terrible at them, but here you are despite the fear of getting smacked in the face. All for him.

No, not Akaashi, for Bokuto.

And he can't even blame you. His teammate/friend is annoying, and a little egotistical with his plays but he's confident, and caring and funny in a way he's never seen. Most players are a little conceded and arrogant. Some he can tolerate, which are those who enjoy the game with unmatched enthusiasm or enjoy it despite what their face conveys.

But Bokuto has that way about him. He's the life of the party, and always makes people feel welcome. He has a little dramatic side but all of his flaws are forgotten when you see those eyes - pretty eyes, almost as pretty as yours but a close second in Akaashi's book.

He watched your face fall, lips twitching in an obvious frown and a hand running through your hair in frustration. It's here that Akaashi realised he missed his chance as coach blew the whistle. That their a point down and as his sneakers squeak against the floor it's quickly overpowered by the groaning of their teammates.

His spike was off, Bokuto missed the shot, and it was all right in front of you.

Akaashi takes in the grumbles of his teammates followed by the laughing, the banter and the pats on his shoulders with a false pride. He can do better - he has done better. Just never in front of you.

  He stayed behind, watching as the other filter out, folding up the net by himself. He watched from the corner of his eye as you hook an arm around Bokuto and lead him out of the gym. Bokuto's arm is around your waist and you press your forehead to his as you leave. Despite being a year younger, you have a few inches on them both. Akaashi wondered often if he'd have to stand on the tips of his toes just to kiss you.

Now he's alone in the gym. He puts the net away, collects the balls and places them in the basket before wheeling them into the storage room. It's here in the dim light, while pressed against boxes of fresh spare uniform he takes a breather.

He doesn't know how long he can stand by and pretend to be happy. He wants you. He wants to be the one to hold your hand and carry your books, and laugh as you make faces while he explains the rules to you all while secretly happy your showing a vague interest in his passion. He's happy for Bokuto, he really is, he just wished he could have gotten there first.

As he thought back to those moments he could have confessed the door opens. He's startled, but there is Bokuto, smiling and slightly swearing still from the game, leaning on the frame of the door.

"If you're gonna get mad about the spike, don't." Akaashi said. His tone is still light despite his words.

Bokuto took a step, crowing him into the small space and smiled. He's never seen him smile like that before - okay, that's a lie, he's seen this smile reserved for you. But here in the dimly lit storage room, with the hot air and cramped space it's different.