Chapter 1

INSPIRED BY 'THE READER WHO BECAME A BUTLER' tsuhiro

The last thing Kim Rok Soo remembers before he fell asleep was the faint buzzing of his phone, volumes of a novel sprawled over his desk, and feeling incredibly drowsy the next second.

How did it end up like this?

Why is he not in his room? Instead, he's inside what seems to be a luxurious hotel, something he knows he can't afford. And is that real gold?

Had he been drugged and taken to a second location? Had there been something slipped into the food he ate, is that why he had to fight to keep his eyes open? He feels much lighter too. Could they have not done it on his day off? Or at least let him finish the volume he was reading, it was getting interesting.

A knock interrupted his thoughts. Which surprised him, is his kidnapper a gentleman?

"Hans? Are you awake?" A feminine voice asked. Who is Hans? "You missed breakfast so I brought you a bagel." Is he Hans?

Kim Rok Soo observed the doorknob as it twisted. What was the point of knocking if you aren't even going to give him a chance to invite you in?

The large door soon revealed the owner of the voice.

A girl with blonde hair tied up in a bun, brown eyes, her cheeks sprinkled with freckles. She looks no older than sixteen, wearing a maid uniform. She is carrying a plate of two bagels and a glass of water. She closed the door with her foot.

"Huh? I guess you were awake. Why didn't you say anything if you were awake? Did you just wake up? Are you feeling unwell? It's not like you to wake up this late?" Late? Through the long windows, Kim Rok Soo can see the sun starting to rise. It is too early.

"Who are you?" Kim Rok Soo decided to risk asking. It seems like he is supposed to know her. Even after looking through his records, he can't recall her face or voice. Is this a mind trick?

The girl in front of him placed the plate of bagels and the cup on the bedside table. His question does not make her falter. Instead, she laughs.

"Did you have a nice dream? So much so that you forgot about reality? Hahaha don't worry, I'll do you a favor and refresh your memory. It won't be any good to have our deputy butler in dreamland. I am Fleur, a maid of Count Henituse."

Hans. Deputy butler. Count Henituse.

This can't be real. This has to be a prank.

Deputy butler Hans is a character in the novel [The Birth of a Hero], he is not real. And Kim Rok Soo is definitely not Hans.

[The Birth of a Hero] is a novel Kim Rok Soo was reading before he ended up in this fancy room. He only had the chance to read a few volumes before he drifted off to sleep.

The novel is about a Korean, Choi Han who woke up in another world's forest. After many years of wandering mindlessly in the forest, he finds a way out and his adventure to become a hero starts after his new found family is massacred.

Kim Rok Soo can count the amount of times deputy butler Hans is mentioned on one hand. Hans is the butler of a minor villain, Cale Henituse.

Although Hans is a background character, the author of [The Birth of a Hero] didn't slack off on the description of his appearance.

Rok Soo catches his reflection in the glossy floors. His usual black hair, and Korean features were replaced by bright orange hair, and features that were definitely not his.

Did he transmigrate into the novel he was reading when he fell asleep?

"-ans? Hans? Are you with me?" A hand is waved in front of his face. Rok Soo catches the worried look on Fleur's face.

"Huh?" Fleur gives a relieved sigh.

"Your mind seems to be elsewhere right now. Maybe you should call in sick. I'm sure the Count will understand." Fleur looks hesitant. "I have to go wake up the young lady now. Please consider taking a break, don't push yourself."

Before she could leave, the door slammed open. A tall man with brown hair and matching eyes is panting.

"Haa...the Count has requested you to meet in his office. I believe it is an important matter...Hans you didn't do anything that could get you fired, right?"

Kim Rok Soo will later learn that this man is the original Han's closest friend in the estate. His name is June.