Chapter 12

Nami sat completely dazed at the wooden desk inside her study. She tried her best to focus at the task at hand but failed miserably, letting her mind run rampant to the thought of her captain. Earlier, after their failed game of tag, Luffy accompanied her into her study like a lost puppy. She let him in but only upon agreeing that he would let her focus.

He did not.

She was hunched over her desk, working arduously when she heard him whine, claiming he wanted her to "forget her work and hang out with him instead." Suddenly, she was engulfed in his presence. She could still feel his arms wrapped around her shoulders from behind, the heat from his bare chest radiating off of him against the back of her neck. The way his warm breath tickled the shell of her ear. The feeling of his lips claiming hers once she turned in her chair to scold him. And the look of dismay upon his face when he eventually left her side to investigate the yelling coming from the other side of the ship.

Nami blushed, fighting a cheesy smile. She squealed like a little girl and her hands suddenly covered her heated face. It was almost as if she weren't able to mentally grasp the situation she was in until now. Her captain had been continuously crossing every single boundary that indicated they were only "friends", but she wasn't upset in the slightest. On the contrary, she couldn't control the emotions that threatened to bubble over inside her chest.

The navigator was a lost cause. She tried to reason with herself saying there's no other explanation for his peculiar actions, yet, she couldn't give herself that hope. The hope that he felt the same way she did. That he was in love like she was.

Gosh, she loved him so much.

She gripped her arm comfortingly in order to not let gloom take over her. "We should be nearing the next island very soon." she mumbled to herself aloud.

She completed mapping out the crew's next course of action and made her way down onto the grassy deck. Out in the distance, she saw the terrain coming into view. From the looks of it, it seemed like a large town. Then she noticed something.

It was quiet... too quiet.

"Everyone! I see an island up ahead!" she called.

Usually within moments, the elated captain would have jumped onto the Sunny's figurehead to scout the landscape and the rest of the crew would have gathered upon the deck as well, however, there was no response or outbursts.

"Anyone?"

The orange-haired navigator looked around for her idiot captain or any signs of the bunch but was only greeted with silence.

That's weird... where is everyone?

She checked the aquarium, the women's quarters, the men's quarters, the crow's nest, and found no trace of the crew. Humming thoughtfully, she thought of the last place she left them. Nami came face to face with the door leading into the kitchen and swung it open. She was then promptly met with startled faces, a few of them jolting at her sudden entrance.

She eyed each and every one of them, her eyes eventually settling upon the object of her affection.

"What's going on?" she asked slowly.

Her ears were immediately flooded with the majority of the room reassuring her that there was indeed, nothing wrong. There were a few awkward chuckles and Luffy had a sheen of sweat on his forehead. Although puzzled, Nami decided to let it go.

"...Ok then. Captain, we're approaching an island."

"Do you know if the island is inhabited?" Chopper spatted quickly.

"Uhm, I believe so. It seems like a large town."

"You don't say! We should check it out!" Usopp screeched.

A look of determination spread across the snipers face, which bewildered the navigator even more. Typically by now, Usopp would have protested at the idea of an island and would have started going on about his "do not go to the island" disease.

The room chimed in and nodded in response at the sniper's suggestion.

'Shishishi' "NEW ISLAND HERE WE COME!" yelled the captain with raised fists as he dashed out.

The rest of the crew sauntered behind him, leaving Nami in a befuddled state at the peculiar scene that had just unfolded. Before Robin could leave the room, Nami peered over at her and called out, stopping her in her tracks.

"Robin, what on earth is going on?"

"Whatever do you mean, Nami?" she replied, a small grin forming on her face.

"Everyone is acting weird. Did I interrupt something?"

"Not at all."

The navigator raised a thin brow, challenging her. "Are you sure?"

"Positive. Shall we go?" she said with a radiant smile.

She's so good at lying.

Nami nodded apprehensively and trailed behind the archeologist to the deck, unwillingly dropping the subject once again.

"How's it look, Usopp?!" Luffy called from the top of the figurehead, gripping a piece of the wooden mane to balance himself.

The sniper brought his binoculars up to his eyes and observed the sight before him. Upon inspection, he called back rather excitedly. "It's inhabited alright, heavily inhabited at that!"

After a few minutes, they approached the dock and dropped anchor before discussing the game plan.

"Ok." Nami voiced, clapping her hands together to gain everyone's attention. "I'm sure we all need supplies so we should split up. Me and R-"

"Chopper, I'm in need of some new books to add to my collection. Would you like to join me?" asked the raven-haired women, cutting Nami off.

"Un!" he responded delightedly.

"I need to buy more groceries. Marimo, you're coming with me. I need to keep you from getting lost."

Zoro mumbled something under his breath but had no further protests.

"OW! C'mon Bones, we're gonna get more hardware supplies." Franky said to Brook, pointing casually behind his shoulder with his thumb.

"I'll do the honor of guarding the ship." Usopp mused with a triumphant smirk on his face, immediately darting towards his factory.

The pairs dispersed and walked off the Sunny, leaving behind a very befuddled navigator.

That was weird...

Only she and her captain remained on deck. She turned to Luffy, who seemed completely unfazed by the turn of events, and meandered over to him.

Now Luffy usually would have bolted off the ship in hopes to explore by now, but this was... odd. He stood patiently against the guardrail, as if waiting for her. This too was odd, but she wasn't upset in the slightest.

She had him all to herself now and she wasn't complaining.

"I guess that means you're stuck with me, Luffy."

He chuckled and reached for her hand, intertwining their fingers. His eyes sparked with something she couldn't quite name and his lingering gaze drew her in. It was the kind of look that made her want to throw herself at him. No questions asked.

"Ready?" he mused, never taking his eyes off hers.

Her body responded before she did when she felt her breath hitch and her heart throb tightly. She nodded absentmindedly and let him tug her away.

To be continued...

A/N: This was a shorter chapter but there's some exciting stuff in the next one. I think that this sadly will be the penultimate chapter and maybe then an epilogue. This has been a super fun ride. Can't wait to keep writing in the future. I love the feedback I've been getting, you guys are the best. Thank you so much for the views, comments, etc. Let me know what you think about this one. Stay safe out there. Next chapter is coming soon.