Chapter 2

"So, let me get this straight," Elizabeth pinched her nose, "They put him in prison only because they have no one else to suspect?"

"They're just doing their jobs," Henry reasoned, placing a mug in front of the girl.

"Yeah, well, they're not very good at it," Elizabeth placed her elbow on the table and held her head.

Currently, the entire Emily family was sitting around the table, sipping tea in an attempt to relax. What with the murder and Michael in jail, everyone was on edge.

"I knew that girl in middle school," Evan shook his head, his short, curly mullet following, "She was a year below me. We didn't talk much, but we were both on the academic team."

When Sammy snorted from across the table, Evan grimaced.

"Sam, will you shut up?" Charlie hit her brother's bicep.

"Sorry, sorry! It's just—" he laughed, "I still can't believe you were on the academic team. Not that you aren't smart, but dude, you look like a total basket case."

Red-faced, Evan averted his gaze and leaned back in his chair, "I do not!"

"Bro, you're wearing a grey hoodie over a black AC/DC t-shirt. That's, like, as basket case as you can get," an idea came to him, and he leaned forward on his elbows, "You're like that girl from The Breakfast Club, you'll shake your head and a bunch of dandruff will come out."

As Evan groaned, Charlie and Sammy's mother Alice scolded her son, "Mind your mouth, Samuel, or you'll be grounded."

"You suck!" Evan glared across the table at the teen.

"You too, Evan," Alice warned.

"Sorry, Auntie," he grumbled in return.

Elizabeth clicked her tongue, "At least something interesting was happening."

"Yeah, but now probably isn't the time for an argument," Charlie tapped her chin, "Y'know, I wonder what questions they're asking Michael right now. Why do they need him for a whole night? It can't take that long, can it?"

***

Michael slouched in a metal seat, scanning the walls around him. He assumed the giant mirror to his left was where other officers were watching him like a zoo animal. Staring at his reflection, he had just started fixing his short hair when an officer walked in.

"Mr. Michael Afton, right?" the cop asked, watching the young adult jump and place a hand on his heart.

"Y-yeah, that's me," he exhaled, pushing a piece of his hair back, "I feel like I get a heart attack every few seconds in this place."

"It can be like that," the cop chuckled, "Water? Apple?"

Michael's eyebrows rose as the officer placed the food and drink on the table in front of him, "Oh! Yeah, that would be great, I'm starving. Thank you."

"No problem," she nodded as she sat down, "Alright, before we begin, I want you to be aware of your rights. You have the right to remain silent. If you do say anything, it can be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to have a lawyer present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you if you so desire. Sound good?"

"Yeah, that's fine. I don't really wanna waste any time looking for a lawyer right now, I just wanna get out of here as soon as possible. I was supposed to go to the arcade with my little brother today," Michael bit into his apple.

"I understand," the officer folded her hands on the table, "My name is Officer Russo, and I'll be conducting this interview today."

"Mm," he hummed in acknowledgement, swallowing a bite of the apple, "I'm Michael, but I guess you already knew that."