Chapter 4

Michael stirred, a warm light invading his closed eyes. Someone wrung out a towel next to him, the water dripping into a small bowl. He pulled his forearm to his eyelids as he groaned.

"Oh, he's getting up!" a girl observed.

"He should rest more," a raspy voice commented, "Humans are fragile."

Michael pursed his lips, "I can hear you, y'know."

"I mean no offense."

"Thanks, Xiao," he lifted himself off of the couch and rubbed his eye, "Man, I have the worst headache."

Zhongli put the towel on a table in front of him, "Here, drink this. It may help."

Michael looked around the room; he was in Zhongli's apartment. Although he didn't visit often, he recognized the layout: first floor, a window to his right where he could see a few bushes. There was a loveseat placed in front of the window with a small table next to it. Zhongli kneeled on the floor next to the table, which held a bowl of water, a towel, and a cup with apple juice. Michael snickered as he pulled it from the table. He turned a little further to see Xiao standing next to Zhongli, and Xiangling kneeling on his other side.

"How are you feeling?" Xiangling asked while he took a sip of the juice.

Michael exhaled, "Better now. A little."

"Well, that's a start," the girl giggled sheepishly, "Oh, I cooked some dinner for you! It might also help."

"Oh. Thank you," the teen smiled, "Sorry about your chilis, by the way. I can pay you back for them."

"Don't worry about it, Chongyun caught them before they all spilled. Only a couple fell out."

Michael huffed out a laugh as Xiao spoke, "What were you doing that made you faint?"

"Uh, running? Panicking, mostly," he shrugged.

"You should take better care of yourself. You are a business owner now, people are relying on you. And, also, you have people who care about you," Zhongli wore a teasing smile.

"Right..." Michael sighed, a hand on his neck. He had so much to tell them, it was starting to overwhelm him.

"Is something going on, Mikey? You know you can talk to us," Xiangling placed her hand on his that sat on the seat.

"I..." he faltered, "Yeah, it's some...stuff...with the business. I don't really want to get into it right now—my head is still hurting a little bit."

"The juice didn't help?" Zhongli tilted his head in concern.

"It made it a little better," Michael lied, a smile on his face.

"He's stressed," Xiao deduced, "Is there anything we can do? Perhaps we should leave you be."

The young man cringed, "No! No, please don't do that. I need something to get my mind off of everything."

"Do you wanna chat? I can tell you about my day!" Xiangling offered, and Michael chuckled.

"Sure."

As Xiangling began rambling about her day, Michael rested his chin in his hand. Her glowing aura filled the room, easing Michael's nerves just the slightest bit. He wasn't really listening to her story, he was simply grateful for the company.

Xiangling talked proudly of her daring adventures: the way she braved the path of monsters to get to her chilis, how she saved Xingqiu from a group of bandits. As tireless as his eight months in Teyvat were, he had to say, he missed fearlessly fighting in battle. No amount of taxes and public relation scandals could ever compare to the rush he felt whenever he faced a new opponent in Teyvat. Perhaps he inherited it from Childe. The name made him tap his fingers anxiously against the couch below him.