Chapter 9

"First, go to the edge of the forest and find the tree that is three paces back from the restaurant. There, you will find your next clue."

"Alright," Sammy leaned on Evan's shoulder, "So we're looking for some tree. Can't be that hard, right?"

Glancing between the restaurant and the forest, Evan identified the line where the trees were chopped down for the building and the forest began. He pointed at the space where the clean blades of grass turned into longer, prairie like greens.

"Let's start over there. That looks like the edge of the forest to me."

***

Kaeya groaned when the light of morning hit his face. He tucked his head into Childe's side, shielding his eyes.

"Hey," Childe greeted in a gravelly morning voice.

"We need to start sleeping in my room again," he replied, sparing curses at the sun.

"We let Mike have that room again, remember?"

"...Damn it."

Childe chuckled, "I'm sure you'll survive. Want me to start breakfast?"

"I can do it today," Kaeya dragged himself to the edge of the bed, but Childe pulled him back by the waist.

"I'll make breakfast, you'll probably burn something. You can make lunch, though."

"Fine..." he grumbled, shimming out of Childe's arms and grabbing a book, "I'm still getting up, though."

"You're no fun," Childe stuck his tongue out, following Kaeya to the main room. When they got there, Michael was already sitting on the couch, his chin resting in his hand. He didn't move when they walked in.

Childe raised an eyebrow, "Are you...staring at the wall?"

"Huh?" he jumped, turning to the two men, "Oh, yeah, sorry. I was just thinking."

"You need to go out with your friends, comrade," Childe retreated to the kitchen while Kaeya sat in an arm chair next to Michael.

"Yeah, I know! I know. And I still need to talk to Yanfei, too. I'll never figure this out otherwise."

"Don't stress too much, it's all gonna work out," Kaeya threw his legs over the side of the chair, "What did you say happened again?"

"I confessed to a murder I didn't commit and now the real murderer is out there but the cops are looking for me," he replied in one breath, pulling his cheeks down with his fingertips.

"Oh, right. Yeah, that wasn't very smart."

"I know!" he groaned.

Childe peaked around the kitchen wall, "Well, why don't you talk to her today? I was gonna show her around New Khaenri'ah, but I'm sure she'll be much more interested in helping you. She's coming over in an hour or two."

"Wait, they're gonna leave in an hour or two?" Kaeya crossed his arms, "I thought you said I could make lunch."

"Uh...oops?" Childe shrugged, a cheeky smile on his face.

"Oh, you snake," he smirked, "Mike, you like my food, don't you?"

"Uh..." Michael scratched his neck, an awkward laugh slipping from his throat.

"Really, you two? Hmph, and I thought I finally had people on my side. You boys are all the same."

"We're grown men, Kaeya," Childe argued weakly.

"Ah, not this one, though," he reached a hand behind Michael's head, ruffling his hair.

Michael laughed, "I'm nineteen, Kaeya. I drank with you last New Year!"