Chapter 3

In the morning, Michael was released from his cell as promised. Time was ticking. The station wasn't too far from his restaurant, and he had no time to make a call. He sprinted across the sidewalks back to the pizzeria, dodging every kid on their bicycles as he went.

"Hi, Mr. Afton!" a group of kids waved, and he grinned at them.

"Hey!" Michael waved, out of breath, and continued running. God, what would they think of him when he returned?

When the edge of the restaurant finally came into view, Michael thanked his luck for making his trip short. He panted heavily, leaning on the hood of his car for support. He slid into the driver's seat and sped to his apartment, sprinting through the stairs and hallways.

He entered his door and wasted no time; side stepping every corner and piece of furniture, he grabbed a small orange box from his room, then sprinted back to his car. With a piece of leftover paper and a pen both found in his glovebox, he scribbled a note, then drove back to Henry's.

When he reached his uncle's house, the house he spent his high school years in, the world seemed to spin around him. He panted in the car, then hit the steering wheel. Why couldn't he live a normal life?

Not minding to lock his vehicle, Michael raced into Henry's house; he used his own key to barge through the door. When he did, the door hit the wall next to it, and the family eating breakfast at the table looked at him.

"Happy Saturday, Mike. How was prison?" Sammy teased as Michael breathed wildly.

"Mikey, you okay?" Charlie asked.

"Dude, you're really pale," Evan cringed, observing his brother's face. Elizabeth tilted her head, noticing the bends in his knees.

"He's gonna faint—" she jumped out of her chair, "He's gonna—!"

She ran to her brother, catching him just as he started to fall. He fought the faint, though, simply leaning his upper body weight onto Elizabeth's shoulder.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," Michael held his forehead, "Listen, we don't have time for this. Uncle Henry—"

He broke out into a coughing fit as Evan took Elizabeth's place and Sammy held him up on the other side. Michael tried to swallow the coughs down, but they kept coming.

"Mike, son, calm down," Henry put his hands out, "We have all the time in the world, okay?"

"No, we don't," Michael insisted, pushing past Evan and Sammy to the table, "The cops said—they said there was no evidence of a break-in. I let it slip that only you and I have a key to the restaurant. I know I'm innocent, and I'm sure you are too, but they're going to think it was one of us. Uncle, you have a family to raise, and I have to keep you all safe. So—so give this letter to the police when they get here. Okay?"

"Wait, Michael—" Henry stood up from his seat, "Where are you going? What are you doing?"

"Just give this letter to them, okay? Promise me," Michael begged, opening Henry's hand and placing the note in it, "I'll be back when I figure out how to fix this—I'll fix everything. I'm sorry this is happening to us, Uncle."

"Mike," the man put a hand on his nephew's cheek, rubbing his thumb along his cheekbone.

"I'm so sorry, Uncle," Michael whispered as his voice failed him, "I'll come back, I promise."

He kissed his uncle's forehead, then gave him a tight hug. As he pulled the orange box from his pocket, he passed Charlie and Elizabeth without looking at either of their faces. He pressed down on the box as he did so, imagining Liyue as it was when he left. Just as he planned, a portal opened as he was walking and he stepped through it, quickly closing it behind him.