OO8.

THE LIGHTS FLICKERED TWICE BEFORE GOING OUT.

Panic took over Rose, the walls closing in on her. Memories of dark closets, and nights under the bed flooded her vision. She squeezed her eyes shut as she forced herself to concentrate. 

"Rose," Bella called her name. "Rose, are you okay? Don't worry, it's just a power outage. I got you. Don't worry."

A second passed before Bella used her magic to light up the room. She knew Rose needed it all to be visible, not just the portion she was in.

Rose gasped as her heartbeat thundered erratically. She hated the dark, it came with too many nightmares. When she knew it was coming, facing it was easier. But when she was thrown in it, no one was able to take away the nightmares she was forced to face.

"I'm okay," Rose muttered. "Let's check it out."

The two left their room and entered the suite, Bella's magic following them. Merathy, Evangeline, Zoe all walked around, wondering the cause of the magic outage was.

"I thought Alfea was run on magic," Evangeline muttered. "That's what the books say. How do get a power outage at a magic school, that runs on magic?"

Before anyone had a chance to answer her question, screams sounded from the halls, followed by snarling and scraping. Rose had to force herself to focus on Bella's light to keep her own monsters at bay.

"What the hell was that?" Zoe asked.

"Whatever it was, we need to evacuate," Merathy ordered. "Those are the rules. We all need to get down to the main courtyard. Everyone will be there."

"With those monsters in the halls?" Evangeline asked.

"Merathy's right," Bella told them, holding up her phone. "Nate told me all students need to head down. The Specialists are on their way. Burnes ones are near or in the school. We'll go two by two with our roommates to avoid being detected. If you see a Specialist, get them to escort you. Use your magic to protect yourself if you have to."

Bella's words brought confidence to the group, and they made their way down. Bella and Rose were the last ones left.

"I'm going to make my light small, okay?" Bella told Rose. "We can't risk lighting an entire hallway. We just need to make it down to the courtyard. They have fire fairies setting up torches, and flashlights, everything. I'm right next to you."

Rose nodded, "I know."

The pair of best friends gripped each other's hands as they left the suite. Bella's light was a soft glow around them, giving Rose some comfort. She closed her eyes for a second to focus her breathing. Tapping into the air currents around her, she listened for some change to indicate a burned one was heading their way.

They had barely made it to the stairs when Bella's light died.

"Shit."

Rose took her hand out of Bella's as she felt it get hard to breathe.

"Rose, Rose where did you go?" Bella's voice sounded like she was underwater.

Something hard and cool hit Rose's back. A wall, maybe. She slid down, unable to stop the tears as the horrid memories of her childhood hit her in full force. She wasn't ready to be plunged into darkness so soon.

"Rose, where's your phone?" Bella's voice still sounded distant, but Rose felt warmth near her arms. "Rose, I need your phone. Mine just died." A pause in which Rose managed to pull her phone from her jacket. "Thank fuck."

A soft glow illuminated Bella's face, which was framed with worry lines. "Your on one percent, you're kidding me. The flashlight's not gonna last."

Words felt funny, and Rose couldn't breathe.