XXXV

Zayn invited me over to his place to play video games and watch a movie, and I've missed those nights with him and the boys, so of course I accepted. I'll tell dad I'm going out to a friend's place, and I'll be sure to leave out the fact that they're a guy. Getting dressed in relatively casual clothes, I head downstairs as I slide my jacket on and grab a £10 and.

"Dad?" I ask him.

"Hm?" he grumbles in response.

"Is it alright if I head to a friend's place? I'll leave money for you to order in?" I ask, trying to mask my nerves as best I can.

"I don't give a fuck," he waves off, half asleep and watching a women's college volleyball game. He claims he likes the level of strategy in the game, but it's no secret that he really watches it to look at their asses in spandex. I head out with a relieved feeling, heading over to the place. I walk, to obviously save money, and get there to hear loads of yelling. I knock on the door and Zayn's mum actually answers it, and she gives me a surprised smile.

"Louis, oh my boy, how are you?" she asks me, bringing me in for a tight hug.

"Hey, I'm good," I smile, hugging her after so long of missing her comforting hugs. 

"I'm glad," she says. "We've all missed having you around, I hope you know. I was just about to head to the shops, but I'll be back. Have a good time."

"I will, thanks."

"Love you, babes," she says, giving me one last hug and a kiss on the cheek before I tell her I love her, as well, and I head inside as she leaves.

"Hey Lou," Harry smiles, patting the spot next to him which I was going to sit at, whether he offered it or not. He wraps an arm around me and brings me into a side hug as the rest of the boys greet me, Zayn and Niall engrossed in the screen as Liam watches and roots for Zayn. Harry doesn't unwrap his arm from around me after the hug, and I can't say I mind as I lean into the touch and bring my legs up onto the couch. "How are you?"

"I'm good," I nod.

"Good," he says as he turns his attention back to the game.

"Hey Haz?" I ask.

"Yeah munchkin?"

"Can I lay on you?" I ask. A few months back I'd be too shy, but me and Harry have gotten really close in the small amount of time we get to see each other, now.

"'Course you can," he smiles, and I lay my head on his lap as he starts playing with my hair. I close my eyes in relaxation at the feeling, and he chuckles at my reaction before I open my eyes and watch the game again. Niall ends up winning, and since Zayn lost Niall gets to slap him across the face, don't ask me why that was the bet.

"H, you're up," Niall says. "Think you can beat the champ?"

"You're really asking?" Harry challenges, and we all whistle as the two banters, before picking sides. 

"My money's on Niall," Liam says.

"Easily," Zayn agrees. Niall smirks at Harry, who rolls his eyes.

"C'mon kiddo, I know you want to. Just admit he's shit and join us," Niall tempts.

"The fact that you just called me kiddo sold me. I'm for Haz," I smile, and he grins down at me.

"But you would've picked me had I not used the nickname?" Niall tries.

"Honestly, no," I chuckle.

"That's my Lou," Harry says triumphantly, sticking his tongue out at Niall who reciprocates the action. Harry loses horribly, as I knew he would, and he's pouting like a child while holding his red cheek from where Niall slapped him. "Munchkin, can you kiss it to make it feel better?" he whines.

"Ew, no," I joke, making a face of fake-disgust. He gasps in offense, and I can't help but laugh.

"I thought we had something," he says dramatically.

"Come here, you big baby," I roll my eyes in defeat, giving him a small peck on the cheek and Niall wolf whistles, and I just blush and roll my eyes.

"What would I do without you?" Harry jokes. I open my mouth to respond when there's a hard knock on the door. Not even a knock, someone is just full on beating on the door. It's not until I hear my dad's voice yelling and slurring on the other side for us to open the door that my eyes widen, and I tense.

"I know you're fucking in there, Louis! Open the fuck up before you make me madder!" The boys all look at me and Zayn slowly makes his way to the door. I can tell he's nervous, unsure of how to handle the situation, but he puts on a hard exterior he always uses with my dad before opening it. He's immediately pushed to the side, dad stumbling in with fire in his eyes. "I knew you'd be here with the fags," he chuckles bitterly once he spots me, standing in front of the couch with Harry halfway in front of me.

"Sir, I need you to leave," Zayn says sternly, but dad just scoffs.

"Just getting this piece of shit," he says, marching over to me. Harry fully steps between us now, trying to keep my dad from touching me.

"I'm not going to let you take him, Mr. Tomlinson. You're drunk." Dad just grips his shoulder tightly, causing Harry to wince as he moves him to the side and grabs my arm. I can't really find it in myself to react. I'm terrified and sad and angry and numb, all at once, as I turn back to see Harry, Zayn, and Liam walking towards us as Niall watches, unsure on what to do.

"Fucking go near my son again, and you'll regret it," dad says through gritted teeth. I wince as he digs his fingers into my wrist, dragging me to the beat-up car and driving off quickly as the boys just watch, unable to do anything to stop them. I can tell Zayn is mad, and Harry's running his hands over his face while Liam tries to calm Zayn down and Niall is talking to Harry. "I knew you'd be with those boys, being a fucking whore. I always thought you were a queer."

"They're just my friends," I try.

"You think I didn't see you fucking kiss that one you're always touching? Disgusting, that's what you are. Your mum would be disgusted with you," he mutters drunkenly. He swerves a bit, causing slight chaos in his state as he drives. We get back home, and I expect nothing more than to get the shit beaten out of me. It's worse than usual, but I can't say I'm surprised. I'm pretty sure he's managed a concussion, a broken rib at the least, and he's definitely made it to where I won't be able to move from my bed for the next few days. Looks like I'm skipping school.