~8~

★ ☆ ✦ ✧ ✩ ✶

Heather walked along the road, swinging her bag as she did. George walked alongside her, dodging the bag whenever it came to close. They didn't talk as they walked - Heather didn't want to, and George knew that. Of course Heather had told George that she was going to Matt's house after school. She had also told him that she would be catching a lift with him and his friend group.

''How are you feeling about all this?'' he asked.

''I don't get scared, George. You know that.''

''I know but...do you feel anything?''

Heather didn't reply for a few moments. She definitely did feel something, but she didn't know what. She didn't really care what Matt's friends and brothers thought of her, but she did care what Matt though, and she knew their opinions would sway him. She didn't even know why she cared what Matt thought. She never cared what anybody thought of her.

''I don't really know. I just...I don't want them to think I'm trying to fit in with them. I already know I don't.''

''They won't think that. They'll like you.''

''I don't think they will.''

''Well, you would think that. You didn't think Alahna would like you the first time she skipped with us, but she did. You didn't think Matt would like you and now you're partners in an assignment.''

She smiled lightly. ''I wish you were coming.''

''Obviously.''

''I could ask Matt. I bet he wouldn't mind-''

''Heather, as your best friend, I'm telling you...just go. Don't ruin this for yourself by being...'' he trailed off.

''By being me?'' she finished for him.

He smiled guiltily. ''I didn't mean it like that.''

''I know but it is true. Thanks, George.'' she said as they arrived at school. ''I'd better go through to the parking lot.''

''I'll see you later. Text me if you need me.'' he waved and then left.

Heather walked through the crowds of people. It felt so strange to be arriving at school as everybody around her was leaving. She walked up the steps, and then turned towards the parking lot. She didn't feel scared - she refused to acknowledge that feeling - but she definitely felt something. She had never wanted to be liked before, but now...she wanted that so much.

''Heather!'' someone yelled. She turned her head to see Matt waving at her. He was standing by the side of the van, leaning up against it.

She walked across the grass to meet him and then cleared her throat when she reached him. ''Hey.''

''Hi.'' he smiled. ''You okay?''

''I'm good. Sorry if I've kept you waiting long.''

''You haven't.'' he paused. ''I tried getting Chris to give up the passenger seat but he wouldn't. Sorry.''

''Don't worry. Does everybody know I'm coming?''

''Yeah. They're cool with it.'' Matt smiled.

''Okay.''

He pulled open the van door for her, and she climbed in. She took her seat, and felt instantly comforted to see she was sitting next to Alahna.

''Hey, Heather.'' Alahna grinned.

''Hey, Lana. How's the quitting smoking going?'' Heather asked.

''It's-''

''It's going shitty.'' Nick lent forward and smiled at Heather. ''Can you believe I didn't know who you were before Matt spoke about you?''