Welcome

A/N: Those of you who read "Our Song Ringing Through the Void" might remember Ilibella. Those of you who didn't, she is just a reoccurring servant character, no one important.

Ilibella Silentflower was no stranger to working for rich people, having spent her late teenage years and young adult life as a maid for a variety of rich families while she saved up to go to college.

And while she had accomplished that goal and had gone to college, a teacher's salary really did not go far in the current economy and the public school system was such a mess that she felt completely burnt out after only two years teaching middle school.

So, when she had been scouring a job website, she had been surprised by the unicorn of a job offer she had found.

"Governess Sought for Remote-Area Family in Dor-na-Daerachas" was the title of the job offer and she was surprised to see the job title, she had not heard of anyone having a governess in real life, it felt like something out of a history novel, nannies were the modern equivalent -sort of.

Curious, she tapped on the offer and read the description:

"Governess wanted to teach five children (4 boys, 1 girl; ages ranging from 4-12; including one special needs child). Must be willing to live in-house.

Salary: $150K annually (willing to increase based on additional qualifications)

Benefits: health, vision, and dental insurance; paid time off; education reimbursement; free room and board; possible free vacations accompanying the family.

Requirements: must have a teaching degree (bachelors at minimum); minimum of a year of teaching experience; first aid and CPR training; proficiency in Westron and sign language (preference will be given to those additionally multilingual); possess a valid driver's license and passport; willing to submit to a thorough background check and drug test; willing to accompany family nationally and internationally.

Responsibilities: provide a high-quality education to all five children; develop curriculum using engaging educational materials that promote self-discovery, love of STEM/STEAM/STREAM, and appreciation of the arts, while instilling etiquette and courtesy; provide regular progress reports to the parents; look after the children generally (occasionally including a six-month-old girl); additional responsibilities as needed.

The perfect candidate is a young unmarried childless woman willing to relocate to the family home for at least a full year, can speak several languages, plays instruments, and has a keen interest in alternative teaching methods.

Additionally, discretion and privacy are of utmost importance to this family and a non-disclosure agreement will be required upon hiring."

Despite not exactly meeting the 'perfect candidate' description, Ilibella met all the required ones and applied and eventually landed a virtual interview through a nanny agency and ultimately got the job.

***

The drive from Amon Lanc in the Greenwood to the middle of nowhere in Dor-na-Daerachas took nearly a week and while she knew it would have been much easier to catch a flight from Amon Lanc to the closest big city to Dor-na-Daerachas (Eithel Sirion in Hithlum) and just drive the rest of the way, she could not fit all her belongings in one suitcase and carry on.

So upon being hired, she quit her public school job, packed as much as she could into her car, sold everything else, and let her landlord know she had to break her lease early (thus losing her deposit, though luckily not having to pay for the rest of the months she had signed for since she had found someone else to take her apartment).

By the time her GPS told her she had arrived at the supplied address, Illibella was staring up at a mountainside mansion and the wrought-iron gate held the name 'Angband' across it.