The News

Belladonna Baggins née Took was in the kitchen of Bag End making tea when the family landline began to ring, Bungo sitting at the nearby table peeling potatoes for supper.

Looking down, she saw the caller ID read 'Bilbo' and immediately picked up, "Baby?"

"Hi, mum." Bilbo greeted, his voice a relief to hear after not hearing from him for nearly a year now, "A lot has happened since I saw you last. But I am married now! And I am three months pregnant!"

She nearly dropped the phone, pressing the speaker button, "What?! Married to who? Did you get away from those monsters who stole you?"

"'Monsters'?" Bilbo asked, "Well it was a bit of a whirlwind romance, but we did not want a big wedding so we just had a little courthouse one. Well we did not go to the courthouse either, because it is so far away, but that is besides the point. I just wanted to call and let you know that you and papa are gonna be grandparents, oh and this phone number is going to be disconnected as soon as I hang up -Mairon said that you might try and call me and try to talk me out of this and that stress is going to be bad for the baby."

Belladonna was so shocked she did not know what to say, eventually sputtering out, "What about your life? You had plans, you were supposed to go to the community college-"

Her son interrupted her, "I only wanted to go to college to look for a husband, mum. And if that failed, be a preschool teacher so I could find a single father to marry. I have always told you that I wanted to be a homemaker but you and papa always insisted I have a career."

"Bilbo, I know you have wanted that, but think. You have only known these men who bought you for less than a year, this is not love." Bungo tried, "Come home, we have been saving nearly every penny and can nearly repay the debt. You will see, come home and we can get you a divorce and an abortion and you can get your life back in order."

The person in question gasped, "No! It is my life and you cannot make me get rid of my baby! I thought you two would be excited to hear about your grandchild, but it would seem I was wrong. Do not ever contact me again unless you are going to be happy for me!"

Belladonna but in, wanting to slap her husband, "I am happy for you, Bilbo. Do not hang up just yet; your father is just in shock. I just have a couple of questions."

"What?" Bilbo asked, sniffling

"Well, it is not true that your new...spouses are nearly your father and I's age?" Belladonna began

"No, you and papa are in your sixties, Melkor is barely thirty-five and Mairon is thirty-two."

"But both are still nearly double your age, my love, you are approaching your twenty-first birthday." Belladonna pointed out, "And how long have you been married?"

"Three months."

"And how long did you date beforehand?"

"A month, give or take a few days." Bilbo replied, "Well officially. There was lots of tension for nearly five months."

"Doesn't that seem a bit fast?"

"Yeah, but I told you it was a whirlwind romance." Bilbo shot back, "Plus, you always said you and papa fell in love at first sight, so what is the big deal?"

"I know, darling, but even still we dated for years before marrying." Belladonna soothed, trying to appease him enough that he did not hang up, "How about we come to visit you and I can help you get ready for your baby's arrival. Okay?"

"I'll ask, I don't want to blindside them with guests." Bilbo said before the line muted for a minute or two before he returned, "They said you can come next week and stay for a week."