Lily's Child

Harry was lying in bed, staring emotionlessly at the popcorn ceiling. Weak, that's what you are.

There was a spider on the ceiling, slowly but surely walking past onto the ceiling. Harry sighed and rolled over, wincing from pain and hunger.

The past few hours in the morning, Vernon had taken out all of his rage on him, especially given that he had 'done something freakish' by changing his appearance.

He pondered running away- he didn't have anything magical up here, he was locked in his bedroom with a padlock so he couldn't unlock it, and he was hurting everywhere.from Vernon's blows.

 Its all your fault, Harry, all your fault...

He wished that Hedwig were here; her kindly (and rather stern) presence comforts him and he could write a letter or something asking Hermione what the hell was going on- HE certainly didn't know what kind of spells were ON him or something- why did he look so- different?

It was times like this when he wished that his Uncle wasn't so insane that he put locks on his door secured from the outside, not to mention the barred windows. Or that his Aunt cared about him. Or that someone- ANYONE could help him.

Harry was hungry as he lay there aching- all those days of numbness and eating very little food from the Dursleys were catching up with him- of course, the Dursleys never gave him much to eat....

 Lily...Harry wondered hungrily...you look so much like her...Harry sighed, and wondered what she was like. He remained like this- imagining a life with a mother...almost slipping from consciousness....

Suddenly a muffled shout from Uncle Vernon jerked his attention back to the present.

It sounded like, "GET OUT OF HERE——" He strained to catch the next phrase, but it was too muffled to here- it sounded like whomever was outside the front door had come in- what if it was death eaters?- he gasped at the next muffled phrase:

"Where is Harry Potter?" Remus? He sounded so...angry! Well, maybe he was angry at Harry...especially since its your fault Sirius died...he closed his eyes, a cold lump in his throat threatening to rise. Listening.

"Do what he says!" Snape. His distinct sarcastic voice with a threatening undertone was unique to the teacher; he was quite possibly the most intimidating teacher that he had.

'"The s-smallest b-bed r-room u-upstairs," came the trembling voice of his Aunt, "He deserved it, every last b-bit of it- i-it wasn't m-m-me!"

It was interesting, listening to conversations through the floor. A dull pang of hurt at his Aunts frightened remark. What had happened between her and Lily?

"I'm sure, Tuney." said Snape, deadpan. Harry laughed quietly, which quickly turned into a cough- typical Snape- he could just picture the expression on his face and crossed arms looking down the tip of his nose at Aunt Petunia. Tuney?

"Every bit of WHAT?" Professor Lupin roared, incensed . Harry lay his head back down in surprise at Remus' venom filled tone..Harry coughed. Weak.

Two sets of foot thundered (yes, I'm channeling Percy) up the stairs. Heart thumping- They can't know, how am I going to explain this-

The footsteps grew louder and came to rest in front of the most raggedy door on the far right. Harry winced- the one- the one with all of the locks.

"Look at these locks, Lupin," Snape said on the other side of the door, shock evident. Harry closed his eyes in resignation.

"Alohamora!" cried Remus. Harry stood up with difficulty, a sharp pain in his side making it difficult for him, baggy clothes making him look skin and bones.

Lights flashed in his eyes as the door burt open to reveal Snape in all black muggle clothes, puzzlement written on his pale face. and Remus, eyes ablaze with determination.

Their facades seem to melt as they saw him-

They kept their wands raised- Snape, eyes hollow stared at Harry, who sucked in a breath and stumbled backward.

"Oh, god, Harry," Remus whispered before leaping forward and catching him before he fell. Blissful nothingness, fading away.

"Lily." Snape said, awestruck as though looking back in time— , "Lily!"

That was the last thing Harry heard before the silence: blessed silence.