New Promises

Why?

The question that rang through everyone's mind, the question that reverberated through a small group of people's heads and wormed their way into their lives.....

Remus let out a gusty sigh. He knew that he hadn't taken the news well. The way he avoided looking at the kid, and he resented the way that he had talked, hollow words, all while avoiding Lily's- no, Harry's- emerald gaze.

Harry, James' son, was the only thing left that resembled the carefully woven friendship from long ago....not just James and Sirius (as he thought with a pang), but Lily.

Beautiful Lily.

That girl had a wonderful soul, a kindhearted yet fiercely loyal outlook on life, all with the vivacious twirl of her red locks.

Loyal.

If there was something Remus knew, it was that if Lily made a choice, she was fully committed and always, always sure of herself.

Loyalty.

They were quite a match- James, the prankster, with his confident smirk and protective demeanor, Lily, always so sure of herself, and so non-judgemental.

They had been the perfect little family, those two and Harry. Their perfect little son.

Lily would have kept James in her confidence.

How?

Questions. Only questions whirling about, spinning through his mind in a tornado.

It must be worse for Severus and Harry- oh Harry, Remus thought dejectedly.

Harry. he should be with him. Harry who is not James' son.

"Goodbye," Remus whispered.

They are gone, truly gone now.

No remnants of the past to hold onto.

But if there was one thing he knew, it was that they would have loved him, Harry, unconditionally.

Yet here he was, trying to grasp onto their coattails despite the fact that they were gone.

Dead. Dead and gone.

Now with a determined bounce in his step.

Remus Lupin made a vow.

Promises that will not be broken this time around.

"For you," he whispered, thinking, with a bit of sadness for his friends, and then, mind drifting to a boy who had been artfully deceived, but so, so loved.

So loved.

"For you," he repeated.