Of Pieces of Puzzles

The bright all-too-familiar light of the hospital wing came into focus.

Absentmindedly his arm reached the the bedside table to grab his glasses before realizing, with a sinking feeling, that he could still see with perfect vision.

What a strange dream he had had....with the mysterious 'Luna'-girl with her long blonde hair and dreamy blue eyes, the rolling meadows of lilies....it seemed like such a dreamlike haze, yet so, so real.

One word drifted back into his befuddled mind....Snape....what had that been about anyway?

Eyebrows furrowed, he sighed in frustration and rested back upon the pillows.

"Mr.-Mr. Potter," a sharp halting voice jerked him to the attention of the harried looking nurse. She looked him up and down, lips thin.

"Madame Pomfrey," he stuttered, looking down upon the covers.

Why had she stuttered on my name anyways? Merlin knows that I've been here enough times. His heart sank, if possible, even further.

They know, they know about the Dursleys....

The awkward silence increased.

"Harry?" slowly he looked up again at the unusually hesitant voice.

Gosh, have I been so deep in thought that I didn't notice Professor Lupin? he thought desperately.

"Oh- hello, Professor," he said, running a nimble hand through his abnormally smooth hair. Remus seemed to be avoiding his gaze, looking at the point next to his head.

There was an uncomfortable silence in which Madame Pomfrey bustled around, straightening the menagerie of vials on his bedside table.

No wonder there, you went and killed Sirius after all.

Remus was looking worriedly at him (or rather, the point next to his face).

Before he could say something, Harry, unable to bear the silence much longer burst out, "D'you know what has happened to me?"

Feeling so incredibly strange about this new appearance...

Feeling the need to say more, as both Madame Pomfrey and Remus shared a knowing glance.

"I mean," Harry started, voice cracking, "This," he added gesturing down at his new appearance, "just sort of- well- happened,"

He looked down, "it wasn't on purpose, honestly," he continued on speaking to his lap, "It just-well-" he broke off.

"If it helps any, Aunt Petunia said I looked a lot like my m-mum."

As if this wasn't a big deal at all.

"Yes," Remus said slowly, almost to himself after clearing his throat. He looked very tired as he met Harry's gaze for the first time, "Yes, very much so."

"Mr. Potter," Madame Pomfrey's stern expression deepened, though something in her eyes made her look kind of conflicted.

Strange, Harry thought trying to swallow the sudden nervousness of her answer.

"Mr. Potter," she started again, suddenly much more put together, "Your condition is a clear indication that an appearance charm was placed on you."

"Yes," Harry stated. That seemed obvious he thought, as he did look much different than he had all his life.

"Can I get back to normal then," he asked more forcefully than intended. Remus and Madame Pomfrey shared another look.

"Mr. Potter, this charm was placed on you at birth," she continued, taking a deep breath.

"Wait- why would-" he started, a barrage of questions coming to his mind.

Madame Pomfrey pursed her lips.

"Mr. Potter, the charm of your- er- normal appearance can only be recasted by the person who had put the charm on you-"

"Do we know who it is? Was it death eaters?" he demanded. Oh, he could see someone playing a cruel joke on him, making him look like his mother-

"- which in your case was cast by- by Lily Potter." she continued.

Feeling an unfamiliar lump in his throat, eyes wide, he could only find one word-

"Why?" he whispered hoarsely.

"This- this is your original appearance, Harry." Remus said softly.

"But- but- why?" Harry exclaimed, voice rising in a panic, "did she- did she want-"

A vision of that Luna-girl, voice a lilting melody, skipping through the rolling meadows of lilies.

"Harry Snape," she had said knowingly.

The fearful possibility rose in his mind in a whirl of sinister black cloaks and a hateful sneer:

Just like your arrogant father, you are, said the bat in his mind.

"Why?" he demanded, Luna's words reverberating through his mind.

"Harry," Remus started in a low voice, "please know that you are still the same person that you were before."

There was a desperate look in his eye, and a slight tremor in his voice. Suddenly Harry really did not want to know at all-

"Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey said, not as no nonsense as usual, "we- we had to be sure of your identity,"

"And?" he whispered hollowly, feeling horribly detached from reality.

"Mr. Potter, your blood sampled indicate that your biological father was- was not James Potter."

A cold feeling. The lump in his throat increased as a whole world collided around his ears. he know, though, although he didn't want it at all to be true.

"No," he whispered, but in vain.

"Harry Snape," she said, and he found himself looking into Luna's amused and knowing eyes.

"Your father was.......Severus Snape."