Chapter 1 -- Run Away!

'Hide...!'

'I need to find a place to hide!'

My heart is racing wildly within my chest!

I cannot believe that I actually did what I have always dreamed of doing! But now that I have actually gone and done it: now what?! Where do I go now...?

My ears are affronted with the quickly approaching wailing cries of police sirens echoing off of the glass building facades. The asphalt beneath my one-size too-small, duct tape wrapped shoes is rather weather worn, seismically cracked, and blistering hot from the celestial heavens shining down upon the chaotic drone of the city of Los Angeles.

I run off of the main downtown drag, far away from the sirens and watchful eyes of those who might report me. I must not be seen! An easy feat when you are already quite used to being a nobody.

When I entered a residential area, just outside of the hustle and bustle of the city; the fading sound of sirens made my heart calm just a bit. Yet, the calmness of the day was only a meteorological illusion. Dark clouds were gathering overhead, and from the heavens above, massive drops of rain splatted all over everything.

"Great!" I groaned as the sky looked threatening.

If there were gods in this universe, then they were absolutely cruel!

Not only was I now homeless and without a sole purpose in this life; it now looked as if it was going to downpour at any moment!

The occasionally gigantic splats of rain had transformed into a relentless shoosh of curtainlike showers. There was nowhere now to run, and nowhere to get out of the weather. So, I just walked in the downpour, trying to put as much distance between me and the Thousand Pines home for boys.

'I cannot go back! It is a matter of life and death!' I told myself over and over as I was thoroughly soaked straight down to my britches.

And so, I walked...

...and walked through a parade of happy warm homes filled with loving families who never discarded their own flesh and blood in the middle of the night. Whom separated child from mother when the child was still suckling on his mother's milk and unable to defend himself.

Abandoned, discarded, and disowned.

All those words described who I was.

All those words were now my surname; for I had none that tied me to a specific lineage or even a loving family. Even my own given name was given to me by the State of California. A soulless name with no love or personal reflection. Just some random computer-generated title to call myself in a world of labels and honorifics.

I trudge through the blinding deluge, following the overflow of rainwater running alongside a single-lane road. I began to shiver as the rain was icy cold, and now filled with tiny balls of burning ice! It stung like a bee whenever the ice contacted any part of my skin.

I now regretted not dressing for rain.

In fact, I left everything that belonged to me, all back at the orphanage. I did not dare wear a backpack out into the fenced courtyard. It took me almost two years of good behavior just to be alone outside for one hour, each day. If they had known of my complex plans to run away one day, then they would have probably locked me indoors with all of the other boys.

Even with just how cold I am now; I cannot go back!

It is not because I fear my matron's unholy wrath; or the wrath of law enforcement punishing a runaway teenager: No, I feared what was yet to come!