Chapter 10-The Most Gentle of Assaults part 2

How's everyone doing this lovely new year? As you can see, I'm back and ready to write more. I hope you have all had an amazing Christmas and New Year's, as well as a Valentines' day. I'd say more but I'll leave that to the notes at the end of the chapter.

I do not own any parts of Boku no Hero. All characters belong to Horikoshi. More notes at the end of the chapter. For now though. I hope you enjoy the chapter, you absolute legends.

The large beam that Izuku held to prevent it from harming a nearby bystander fell with a loud thud, enough to cause people nearby to show suspicion or concern. That wasn't the focus of Izuku. Instead, he rushed over to his keeled-over classmate with great worry.

"Eri!" He exclaimed. Even though he couldn't see much of the battle because he needed to focus on not dropping the steel beam, he knew she injured herself. This was, in his eyes, even more clear because of the soft sniffling that came from the girl. Izuku placed a hand on her back, his featherlike touch easing the girl's nerves, and asked, "are you okay? You're not too injured, are you?"

The hero-in-training was expecting her to tell him about being injured because, logically, it made sense. Even though Eri has lived quite an abusive life, she has never been in a situation like this before, where she was doing crime-fighting work. Perhaps this scenario would get her to open up about any injuries she may have sustained, as opposed to keeping quiet. Unfortunately, Izuku could not be more incorrect in his assumption.

"I keep messing up!" Eri cried, throwing Izuku for a loop. Not once had he heard her sound so disheartened by something. Then again, they have only known each other for a few weeks, and she still bears the trauma inflicted upon her by Overhaul. "Every time," she sniffled. "Every time you've given me a task to take them down, or I had the chance to take them down, I messed up." Her voice had shrunk to one of meek sadness. "And now, they'll ruin the festival, and it's my fault—"

"Eri." A calloused hand gripped her shoulder, causing the white-haired girl to turn to her hero and wait for what he had to say. The disheartened girl, however, did not need further cheering up, and Izuku did not know what to say. Both he and Eri understood, feeling worthless. Especially when it may be because of a lack of skill. This made it easier for him to relate, at least. There was no point in contemplating this for long, though. Two villains were on the loose, after all. Upon coming to this realisation, Izuku's grip on Eri's shoulder tightened as he said, "Eri, you shouldn't beat yourself up over this. Like you said earlier, you're still new to combat, and they didn't teach you much about fighting techniques. This work is tough, and you're bound to make mistakes, but I know that you'll get better." He took a breath before continuing. "Besides, I shouldn't have given you those instructions. You're still new after all and have little experience."

Izuku's last words got both himself and Eri thinking. In Izuku's case, he thought it would be best if they informed a professional hero of the situation at hand. Even if it meant cancelling the festival. "But Eri..." He gazed upon her thinking form. Both he and she had been looking forward to this day and seeing it all ended because one selfish villain had enraged his heart more than it should have.

Izuku turned to the floor, and his free hand gripped the floor in frustration. How could villains like Gentle exist? Those that appear understandable yet are as unexpectedly selfish as your typical villain. It just wasn't fair. Eri deserved to see this festival, after all. Why couldn't he choose another day to execute his 'dastardly' plan? Why couldn't he see he was just trying to get a near-broken girl to smile and sympathise? Why did he put Eri in a situation like this when he should have known she wasn't ready? Why hadn't he been fast or strong enough—