1

Ariana Belle FletcherRome, Italy10:58am

Rome, Italy
10:58am

i pull back the curtains to peek outside my apartment window. it's nearly the end of march, and all of the snow had melted. birds fly high in the sky, and the people below scurry in the streets.

it's the first warm spring day after a long and brutal winter. things are alive in the city of rome, and i'm bursting with excitement!

i've enjoyed the snowy days spent inside cuddled up in my boyfriends arms. but, i am delighted at the chance to stroll around the ancient streets of rome during the springtime.

i turn back to look at demario sleeping soundly in bed.

i pause to view my devilishly handsome boyfriend sleeping peacefully like an angel.

his dark-chocolate hair rests across his face. his full pink lips softly parted just enough to let a small snore escape.

since coming to rome as an exchange student, this habit has quickly become my morning ritual — wake up, take a little peek at the city, and then stare at the piece of perfection still asleep in our shared bed.

i still can't believe my life

i walk over to demario in bed and play with his dark hair.

how did i get so lucky?

demario was my high school sweetheart. most days, i still can't believe that i've found him so early and that i've been able to live out my dream life together in rome.

him learning italian was never the best, but he didn't want me to go on this journey abroad alone. after all, wouldn't true love follow you anywhere?

i warmly stroke his cheek and plant a soft kiss on his forehead.

i love this man. but, i'm dying to experience rome waking up

"fine, you sleep. i'll take that romantic walk myself"

i leave my cozy studio apartment, skipping down the stairs rushing to feel the fresh spring air on my skin and into the bustling city i've fallen in love with.

i meander through the streets, taking in all different scents, from the smell of fresh flowers to somewhat questionable smelly river. the sounds of the cars and scooters buzzing are music to my ears.

i cannot help falling in love with this city and it all has to offer me. for me, rome is what dreams are made of. i've called this place my home for the past seven months, and so far, the magical city hasn't let me down.