11

Ariana Belle FletcherRome, Italy 3:25pm

Rome, Italy
3:25pm

my heart is racing inside my chest as i anxiously chew on the inside of my lip.

what am i even doing here? why did i even agree to this in the first place? this whole thing is madness

neither of us seem ready to break the silence between us.

i decide to take advantage of the quietness and use it as a moment to study him. focusing on him gives me a perfect distraction from my inner turmoil. i can see that he's nervous. his grey t-shirt is nearly black from the sweat marks on his armpits.

we both need a bit of time to help settle the nerves before we can move forward.

thank god i'm not the only one that finds this situation a little strange

he continues shifting around uneasily in his chair. his hands fly up to his head when he settles down, and he starts messing around with his hair.

wow, he seems significantly more frantic than i imagined him to be

his nervous behavior is starting to unsettle me.

"espresso?"

espresso? that's the best i could come up with?

i start nervously pushing my hair behind my ears, mirroring his awkwardness.

i pinch myself attempting to dissolve all of my anxieties away.

"si, si"

he ruffles his hair and looks down as he shuffles his feet.

"perfect"

i'm just about to lift myself off the seat.

"no, please"

he places his hand over mind, and i hover in mid-air. my heart skips a beat.

"let me"

with that, he leaps out of his chair and briskly walks into the cafe.

it's now only that he's gone i realize i was holding my breath this entire time.

i place my hands over my rapidly beating heart, hoping to calm myself down.

it's just coffee, and that's all this is. there's no reason to get all worked up over nothing. i need to chill out

i'm mostly telling that to myself, but i wish francesco would do the same.