Prologue - Senior Spirit's Head Disciple

"Those who cry out loud are unworthy of a Spirit's status."

The Heaven Emperor declared with rage. For the umpteenth time, a Spirit had wailed to him about how fearful her job had been, and how she barely made it. His Highness wasn't oblivious to the women's foolish attempt at gaining his attention, and in his early days, he would have even enjoyed it. But after years of working tirelessly, he had especially come to hate Spirits.

A Spirit's position was nearly as important as that of any other Heaven's officer. Though 'Spirit' could mean any soul in mortal language, it was supposed to be a title of honour, and yet the cultivation path was quicker and less time-consuming. Thus, countless female cultivators had taken up this path in their mortal lives, become immortals with their youthful beauty and, since women weren't usually allotted in the 'Grim Reaper' ranks, they had been sent instantly under another Spirit, and later promoted to Spirits themselves.

The biggest problem in the current Heaven Emperor's rule was the crowding of female Spirits in the 'Department of Afterlife'.

His final order was, that if a Spirit had ever complained about their own hardships, they should immediately lose their immortality, and be driven back to the mortal realm. They would once again, have to be stuck in the tedious cycle of life and death.

All Heaven's officers watched in horror, as more than a hundred Spirits fell on their knees, as soon as the decree passed and started disappearing from their immortal forms. "Sister, may we meet again in another life!" Some of them cried hugging each other, and some felt wronged or even offended. "Are we to not talk about our hardships even to family? What sort of decree is this!?" Truly, it seemed unfair.

Most men commented, on how the ladies had it coming for them. They had an unfair advantage to seduce their seniors and rank up.

The judgement passed, and Heaven found itself with a single Spirit remaining. The majority of women thrown out, greedy eyes stared at the one last standing person; truly it must be a woman of sincere elegance and refined tastes. Someone who wouldn't ever complain. And they weren't completely wrong, this person was as beautiful as his name would suggest.

They were all disappointed to see a man dressed in white and coral-lined robes— Fu Yating.

The Heaven Emperor's decree wiped out an entire department of graceful ladies, and had left only a single man!

"Congratulations to Senior Fu Yating." The Emperor spoke without excitement. Even he was younger than the old, dutiful Spirit, mostly forgotten by Heavens. "You're the only working Spirit left, one of the senior-most Officers in Heaven now. Calling you a Spirit would be quite rude." He hummed thoughtfully. Even the Emperor was finding difficulty in addressing Fu Yating, given his reputation. "How about I title you 'Department of Afterlife's Senior Spirit'? It would suit you very much."

"Your Highness is too kind, but if he so wishes, then I gladly accept the title." Fu Yating bowed his head and all surrounding officers had already started to leave out of boredom. What an anti-climatic end to such a huge decree!

"I hadn't met Senior in so long, what had you been up to?" One of the Five greater deities asked from behind the Emperor's seat. "There were many officers in your department previously, but now there's only you. Would you need aide from other departments till new Spirits could be promoted?"

The five greatest deities were the most brilliant officers of the Era, and the Emperor would be appointed from among them. The conditions to gain such a position were obviously not easy. First, the officer must have the largest number of shrines built for them throughout the mortal realm and thus receive most prayers. Their cultivation must be top tier, should have never committed any grave heavenly crimes and most importantly, should have a respectable reputation throughout the heavens.