Ch-1 The Infamous Spirit Lord and the Department of Afterlife

The Department of Afterlife and a few other branches were the initial few sectors of Heavens. Deaths existed much before the concept of money or marriage could be developed by humans and thus adopted by the ancient deities.

Now, the hierarchy began with the Senior Spirit at the top, followed by Marshall of the Grim Reapers, and then his fifteen Captains. Under them, rookie Grim Reapers, and 'Assistants' would do their jobs. Without a proper post assigned for them, these Assistants are only left doing tedious paperwork. The department office, designed on a mountain, used to have the main hall on the peak, used by Spirits and residencies for Grim reapers underneath. Fu Yating thought, his office would now be too empty and to avoid being bullied by the Assistants, it would be better to live behind the mountain.

"The residence behind the mountain, is too isolated, and was built to be a prison. Living there alone is... not something you should choose." Luo Ming said.

"I have thought about it. No matter why it was made, it is still a house. The view is beautiful from here, and there's peace to cultivate without worries. It will be long before I am summoned outside again, so I should use this time well."

Hesitance was evident on Luo Ming's face. It was a well known fact among all immortals, that the Spirit Lord Fu Yating was only a prisoner to the heavens. Though forgotten by most entities, he used to be one of the most promising young men to have ascended Heaven, and was even a candidate to become the Emperor. Today, he is an officer only because he performs duties, and an immortal because he cannot die.

"If Senior Spirit wishes so, then we cannot change his mind." Luo Ming resigned.

Fu Yating began strolling in the area. He noticed the old persimmon tree that wouldn't bear fruit anymore. He plucked out a piece of bark, the cadmium had started browning. It reminded him of himself... He pushed such thoughts away and looked around. There were blooming buds and mellow grass adorning the land, and sunlight lit every plant a brighter jade green. The pavilion he would live in, though not grand in Heaven's standards, suited well with the mountain in view.

The mountains will always sit at the top. New grass will keep blooming in Heaven. The best job for the dying persimmon tree, would be to give it's last shade of protection and knowledge to the young ones, and forget it's own childish wish to grow as tall as a mountain. That would be the best for Fu Yating too.

"All happens with Heaven's will." He reminds himself.

The Emperor had blatantly advised him to take in disciples. He should've been more considerate of Fu Yating's position, as who would want to learn under him?

If they only needed lessons on cultivation, sword forms or ancient spells, he could provide plenty of those. But disciples would want much more than that. They all wanted a master who would attend the Emperor's meetings often, and thus provide more exposure to other officers. He couldn't provide such a thing.

Fu Yating had been insulted to his face many times for being arrogant.

He would never speak of his life as a mortal. They only knew obvious facts, like he was one of the princes in Fu Dynasty and his mother had been a noble woman. Since the king never favored him or his mother, people called him 'Young lord' rather than 'his highness', ignoring his royal blood. This did not bother Fu Yating. "Many people wish to be called a 'Young Lord', it is not a bad title." He had commented.

There is a famous tale about the Spirit Lord Fu Yating's arrogance.

One time the Emperor had become very interested in his past and asked him to narrate his mortal life in front of all ministers present. Fu Yating had replied, "Until your majesty calls it an order, this immortal cannot share such stories." All in audience had started shouting at him for insulting the Emperor, but he stood there without a pinch of change in his expression.