Ch-2 The Infamous Spirit Lord and the Department of Afterlife - 2

Fu Yating headed up the mountain the next morning to be met with fresh gossip. At least he could point out the source of all the absurd remarks now.

"I heard he was a spoiled prince from the Fu dynasty. His path to cultivation was the easiest, because he received all the best resources and education." One whispered.

"Even after entering Heaven, he swooned everyone with his girly face."

"He's truly had the easiest life among all our masters. Of course he never complained about his hardships, he never had to face any hardships at all!" A third girl joined in.

"Our poor masters were thrown out because the Emperor compared them to that conman." Third Shimei's disciple said, now directly under Marshall. He remembers how third shimei never liked him much, it is only obvious that her student would get such traits as well.

"You speak only the truth!" The other girls agreed a hundred percent.

Fu Yating pondered over what to do further. Facing them right then wouldn't put him in any more advantage anyway. And he wasn't the type to win an argument with the other party unwilling to listen.

"Still not going to scold your underlings?" The same child-like voice from last time!

Fu Yating turned quickly, but only saw the silhouette of the child running away. He wasn't one to run, but curiosity made him pace up his usual walk. The voice giggled and teased every time he caught a glimpse of the owner, as if playing tag. In his three hundred years of immortality, no child had dared to play such pranks on him.

"I'm trying to get caught, but you don't even want to catch me!"

The child's voice was supposed to get him annoyed, but Fu Yating only felt more drawn. He sped towards the voice, letting his heavy robes wiggle in disgraceful ways. The few rookie reapers walking by, stared at their Spirit Lord, chasing after a child, and exchanged confused whispers.

The child ran quick and hid behind a well, and Fu Yating believed he would catch him for sure this time. He almost reached the well, before Luo Ming stepped in between.

"Senior Spirit, what are you doing?"

Fu Yating stopped and looked at his surroundings. The rookie reapers were awkwardly smiling at him and Luo Ming was staring at the well with a displeased expression. He also noticed his sleeves had flown behind his arms; he coughed in a fake manner, clearly embarrassed, and fixed his clothes. "You still have a leaf on your head." The child spoke from his hiding position as his bright eyes peeked up from under the stone.

Fu Yating fixed his hair too, a tinge of blush on his cheeks, as he had made a fool of himself. Luo Ming kept staring daggers at the well.

"Well... I apologize for my behavior." He looked at the child's head poking out from behind the stone wall, and the child in turn waved a 'hello' to him. "Marshall, you haven't introduced me to this guest, since he is staying for a long time."

"Senior Spirit, do not be fooled by this chameleon. This ghost is pretending to be a child, his true form is an adult's, but he only wants to cause trouble." Luo Ming responded.

"Is that so, little one? Have you been lying to me all this time?" Fu Yating took a step towards the well, still trying to look at the ghost child's face.

"How could that be? I would never lie to Senior Spirit." The child stood up from his hiding position and smirked at Fu Yating, before continuing to speak. "Ghosts like us change forms all the time, it is all fun and games. When have I told you all that this was my true form? Not my fault, your dumb soldiers got deceived!" He skipped up on the stone boundary, managing to keep a balanced stance.