THREE.

THREE ;
20 minutes

real life !

"Maia, you'll never guess what happened to me the other day," June immediately said the second her best friend answered the phone, "And because I know you'll have a dumbass guess i'll just tell you that I met my new boyfriend."

Maia narrowed her eyes at the screen and frowned, "You met your what?"

"My new boyfriend," June repeated with a roll of her eyes. "What part confused you? Because I thought I was being pretty straightforward."

"Um...probably all of it? How do you have a boyfriend in the few hours we haven't talked?"

June scoffed, "I literally said it happened the other day, dumbass. And just because technically speaking we've only talked for maybe twenty minutes total doesn't mean we aren't in a loving and committed relationship."

Maia stared at her in disbelief before clearing her throat, "Are you gonna elaborate or just drop that on me and expect me to believe you?"

"Elaborate on what? I've told you the important things already, dumbass," June replied as she turned back towards her homework.

"The important things," the older girl repeated, sounding unimpressed. "Literally the only things that you've told me is that you met him the other day and you've talked for maybe twenty minutes."

June raised a hand to her mouth and pretended to zip her lips. In all honesty, she had regretted even bringing Alex up to her best friend in the first place. They hadn't talked at all since he had accidentally texted her, which wasn't that surprising because he did make it pretty clear he was changing his entire identity. She couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed that he hadn't reached out since then, though. And yeah, maybe she could text him first—maybe she would, but even then she had no real way of knowing that he'd respond.

It didn't even matter to her that she was definitely thinking about their messages way too much to be considered normal. Their banter felt natural and immediately made her want to get to know him, which was weird considering she hadn't even heard his voice. She wasn't even entirely sure she wasn't talking to some random old man, either, but that was a risk she was willing to take anyways. And yeah, maybe she was crazy for wanting to immediately befriend some random guy who texted the wrong number, but honestly what's the worst that could happen?

"I've decided not to answer anymore questions without a lawyer present," June finally said after she finally started paying attention to the conversation again.

Maia rolled her eyes, "You say that as if you've answered any of the questions i've asked."

"Maybe you just ask dumb questions," June said with a shrug. "Ever think of that?"

"You're exasperating," she started with a shake of her head. "But if you're telling the truth and you did meet a guy the other day, can you at least tell me you weren't serious about him being your new boyfriend?"

June grinned in response, "Not yet."

"You're delusional, Junie," Maia said with a fond smile. "It's a good thing I love you."

The younger girl scoffed dramatically and glared at the screen, "If you loved me you'd stop being mean and just move here already."

"It's not my fault you live in smelly America. Besides, I thought we already agreed that you're moving here?"

"Um. Absolutely not. I told you i'd only consider it on one condition but you told me that it would literally never happen, so..."

Maia facepalmed at her before sighing, "You'll only move here if they knight you, Junie?"

"Yep," she agreed immediately. "I deserve it. I deserve to have a sword. I'm true and loyal and I won't even hesitate to shank evil men. What else do you want from me?"

She let out a surprised laugh at that, "You're ridiculous, you know that?"

"Ugh, my boyfriend said the same thing," June shot back. "Anyways, wanna do my homework for me? I don't actually know how to do math so I would very much appreciate it if you just did it for me. You know, since you're a nerd or whatever."

Maia glared at her before firmly shaking her head, "Nope. Absolutely not."

"Damn. Is it because I called you a nerd?" When the older girl nodded, June sighed heavily. "I obviously meant you're a super cool nerd that everyone wants to be friends with. Did I mention hot? And also cool? I know that sounds stupid right next to each other, but it's true."

"Yeah, okay. Nice try, Junie. Go do your homework and stop harassing me."

June frowned, "You can just say you hate me and leave, asshole."

"Okay. I hate you, bye," she deadpanned, before abruptly hanging up.

She rolled her eyes as her phone lit up seconds later with an incoming call from Maia.

"Come back to apologize?" June asked with a smug grin, earning her an exasperated groan from her best friend.

"Actually," Maia started, "I just wanted to let you know i'd call you back in an hour or so for movie night. Have fun melting your brain with math, bestie!"

A/N