FIVE.

FIVE ;
catfish

real life !

June was pretty sure she was having a midlife crisis. Although, to be completely honest, she was pretty sure she was having one every single time she was about to take any test involving math. Or any test that didn't involve random facts that nobody ever really needed to know. Maia liked to tell her that she was way too young to be having a midlife crisis, which really just sounded like she knew exactly when June was going to die.

Long story short, June was getting desperate.

And yeah, maybe she was using it as an excuse to talk to Alex again, but considering she lived alone and had nobody around to judge her for it, she decided she didn't really care at all.

In all honesty, June didn't really think he would answer. In fact, she was so sure that he wouldn't pick up the phone that she didn't even consider what she was going to say if he did.

"Hello?"

June stared at her phone with wide eyes and briefly considered hanging up before awkwardly clearing her throat. "I was almost certain you were going to be an old lady, not gonna lie."

He let out a startled laugh, "What the fuck? You really thought I was the catfish here?"

"Oh, absolutely," She agreed. "Why would it be me? You're the one who messaged me with your super embarrassing sob story."

Alex scoffed, "How the hell does that make me a catfish, June?"

She shrugged despite him not being able to see her, "Obviously you were trying to make feel bad for you so you could gain my trust and then immediately steal all my money. I know plenty of people like you, Alex," she paused and threw herself down on her bed. "You can't see me but I definitely just put quotations around your name."

"That just means you're an idiot," he answered, earning a dramatic gasp in response. "Don't act all surprised when you literally just accused me of giving you the wrong name and being a catfish."

June sighed heavily, "All this slander and for what? If this is your way of flirting then I really think you need to look up online classes or something. Hey, do you think those are actual things? I wouldn't know considering i'm literally a master flirter."

"Oh really?"

"Why do you sound like you don't believe me?" she asked with a frown. "I have an award and everything asshole."

He hummed thoughtfully before laughing, "Did you buy it for yourself, June?"

"What is this? An interrogation? Mind your own damn business, pal."

Before he could respond with some smartass comment about how she definitely just admitted to buying it for herself, June quickly started talking again. "Anyways, I don't know why i'm pretending to be surprised considering how terrible your attempt to flirt with me was when you thought I was the girl from your class."

Alex groaned loudly making her grin, "It wasn't that bad—,"

"It was traumatizing, actually," she corrected, making him scoff. "I seriously should be paid or something for having to endure it because man it was painful."

He sighed loudly, "I get it, June."

"Mmm, I don't think you do. Maybe I should badly flirt with you just so you have to suffer."

"Isn't that what you've been doing?"

June let out an offended gasp that was barely even heard over his cackling. "You think you're so funny, huh? Making fun of me when you're the one who got a fake number?"

"I am funny," he stated, smile evident in his voice. "Anyways, I don't know why you keep insulting me over the whole wrong number thing when the last time we talked you wouldn't stop bragging about how you absolutely believed that me getting your number instead of my classmates was the best thing to ever happen to me or some shit like that. You're giving me mixed signals here, June, and I'm not really sure what to think."

"Well for one," June started as she shot a quick glare across the room at her unfinished ( barely even touched ) assignment. "Texting me is the best thing that's ever happened to you, and will ever happen to you, so i would appreciate it if you stopped pretending it's not."

He hummed thoughtfully before quietly muttering, "I guess we'll see about that."

June quickly cleared her throat and pretended she hadn't heard him. "Anyways, second of all...Okay, well I don't actually have a second point but that's irrelevant. We're destined to be best friends, Alex. I saw it in one of my visions."

"You're insane."

Before she got the chance to respond, Alex quickly started talking again. "Anyways, not that i'm not enjoying being accused of catfishing you and trying to steal all your money, but was that why you called? Or did you just wanna talk or something? Because I have to admit that I genuinely thought you accidentally called me or something."

"Ouch. Maybe I just wanted to confirm you weren't some creepy old lady who was trying to steal my youth or something."

He snorted in response, "So you just wanted to talk to me, huh?"

"Nope. I actually wanted to know how good you are at math but then you distracted me like the evil little man you are."

"How the fuck did you come to the conclusion that i'm little?" He asked, making her grin.

"Well," she started, "I didn't actually think you were little until you became so defensive about it. Stop pretending to cry, idiot. Short king supremacy or whatever."

He scoffed, "I'm not pretending, June. These are very real tears and they're literally all your goddamn fault. I hope you're happy."

"I am," she said immediately. "Anyways, how good are you at math?"

"Pretty shit, not gonna lie," he admitted, making her sigh heavily. "If you send me the problem I can ask one of my nerdy friends if they know how to do it, if you want?"

June gasped dramatically before placing a hand over her heart, "You love me. You really love me! I knew it. If your friend solves it, i'll literally marry you."

He chuckled awkwardly and cleared his throat, "A simple thank you will probably be fine, but thanks for the offer—,"

"It was actually a promise," she corrected. "Anyways, I really do need to go finish my homeworker and you keep distracting me."

"What!? You called me, asshole. Maybe you're the one distracting me from doing my homework."

June hummed, "I am pretty distracting, you're right. Anyways, i'll send you the problem and let you finish whatever it is grandpas do at four pm...hey, it's not your bedtime is it? Sorry if I woke you up."

"Pfft, yeah okay. I'll talk to you later, June."

"That a promise?"

Alex laughed softly, "Just send me the math problem before I change my mind, idiot."

A/N
hi