Chapter One: Perrsausse

I looked down at the pile of pills on my bed and wondered if I would live to regret my decision. I hoped not. My life without him would be bland and void of meaning. I knew that if I lived past today, I would surely do many things that I would not be proud of.

     Shit. Wait, too soon for that. We're not there yet. Let's back things up a little. Because why the Hell would you start a story at the end?

***

     I made my way to my Spanish class after lunch. Sixth hour. Almost done with the day. I thought, encouraging myself to finish off the day strong. Although, I didn't hate school as much as most kids did. I liked to be able to go and see my friends. I liked to get good grades and prove that I'm smart. Although, that part had been a little iffy the past couple of years.

     But my favorite part about school—this year, at least—was getting to see and talk to my crush. David Beck. He wasn't the most popular or attractive guy in the world. He wasn't like the many guys I had liked and dated back in middle school and before. He was just funny and nice and adorable. He had dark fluffy hair and big brown eyes. He was kind of tall and had a really bright smile and a baby face. And the best part was that we were friends. We texted every day and talked at school. He knew I liked him and was okay with it. I wasn't sure if he liked me back, but I hoped he did. I was just glad things didn't get weird when I told him I liked him, as it did with almost everyone else.

     I walked up to his locker right next to Mrs. Caballero's classroom.

     "Hey, David Beck!"

     He turned to me, smiled that beautiful smile of his, and held out his hand for a handshake. "Top of the morning, Perrsausse."

     I rolled my eyes but took his hand, anyway. "You know it isn't morning anymore, right, David?"

     "I know." He was a dork and he knew it. It was adorable.

     I rolled my eyes again and laughed. "Goodbye, David. I'll see you later."

     I walked into my class and looked around, eager to tell someone about the wonderful interaction I had just had. My eyes fell on a girl in the middle of the classroom. Staring down into a book, shoulders hunched. Her hair slightly in front of her face because she was seemingly too immersed in the world of the book to care enough to move it. I knew the feeling. I loved that feeling. Jessica. She seemed really shy and bookish. I didn't really know her, but I had seen her around school. She was in many of my classes. We weren't friends, but we were going to be.

     I walked straight up to her desk and sat on it. She looked up from her book, startled. I smiled and giggled a little.

     "Hey," I said. "It's Jessica, right?"

     She nodded silently.

     "Well, guess what, Jessi—can I call you Jessi?"

     She shrugged then nodded again.

     "Well, guess what, Jessi?"

     "What?"

     "I just got to talk to my crush!"

     "You have a crush on David Beck? Why?"

     I gasped. "You know David?"

     "Yes. He's in my Psychology class."

     "Oh. That's his fifth hour, right?"

     "Right."

     "Well, that's cool, I guess."

     "I guess."

     The bell rang and I took the seat behind her.