Chapter Three: Perrsausse

"Seriously, though," Jessica whispered to me as Mrs. Caballero asked the class if we have any good things to share. "Why David? He's just so... weird."

     "He's not weird," I say as I raise my hand. "He's really funny. And nice. And cute."

     "Perrsausse, please keep the side conversations to a minimum."

     "Sorry, Mrs. Caballero."

     "It's okay. What is your good thing?"

     "I'm going to youth group tonight and I get to see my church friends."

     "That's fun. What church do you go to?"

     "Dependence Community Church."

     "Isn't that where David goes?" Jessi butt in.

     "Yes, it is," I replied.

     "He shared that as his good thing, too. In Psychology."

      "He did? Cool."

     "Girls, voices."

     "Sorry," we said in unison, then both burst into a fit of giggles.

      This was the start of a good friendship; I could tell.

     The rest of class went by in a blur of laughter, teasing, and mispronounced and misspelled Spanish vocabulary. I liked teasing Jessica about her poor Spanish-speaking skills because she was Mexican and Spanish had been her first language. It was all jokes, of course, and I tried not to do it too much, so as to not hurt her feelings since I hadn't known her that well yet. The thing was, she had had a lot of trouble learning English when she was little and had to spend so much time working on speaking it fluently and correctly that she forgot how to even speak Spanish. She remembered a few words, but she wasn't fluent anymore. She hadn't been for a long time. And she didn't know how to spell many Spanish words. And I thought that was kind of funny, for some reason.

     At the end of class, we said our goodbyes for the time being and said that we looked forward to seeing each other again tomorrow. I knew that that was very true for me and I hoped it was for her, as well. Then it was time for seventh hour, the last hour of the day. I had biology with Mrs. Mightner, one of my least favorite teachers at my school. She didn't know how to deal with children. Like Ms. O'bryan, or Mr. Barrymore. I didn't like them, either. I did, however, like her husband, Mr. Mightner and was disappointed that I didn't have him as a teacher this year. He was clearly the one who was good with children and probably the one who was doing most of the work in raising their four-year-old son. I wasn't the one who said that, though. That was Denver Autumn. Denver sat next to me in Mrs. Mightner's class. He was really funny, had messy dark hair and brown eyes, and played baseball. He wasn't overly attractive, not to most people. He had a bit of a dad-bod and a big nose. Looking back, I'm realizing that he sounds pretty damn close to the definition of my type, but I didn't like him. Not in that way; not at that time.

     Biology was a pretty uneventful class that day and time ticked by so slowly. I felt an immense amount of pleasure when the bell finally rang at 2:51 on the dot, despite the fact that I didn't even hate school. I was still glad to go home. I was dreading the bus ride, though. Because who didn't just love the thought of a big yellow vehicle that reeked of body odor and bad breath? Who didn't love sitting three people to a seat, not being able to even hear yourself think because everyone is yelling at the top of their lungs? Who didn't love taking long, winding routes that seemed to make no sense and just made you wait almost an hour before you even got home? Because that sounded so fun.

     When I finally did get home, I walked to the keypad in front of my garage door and typed in the code. I knew that both of my parents had work and my brother was at daycare, so I didn't even bother trying the front door to see if it was unlocked and I didn't feel like taking my key out of my backpack. There was no point. The door inside the garage was always unlocked.

     I went inside and straight to my room, which was across from my parents' room. It was just temporary, until we moved my room into the basement and turned my current one into a nursery. I couldn't wait to have a room in the basement, it seemed like it would be fun. I pulled out my homework and began working on it.

     My mum and brother got home later that evening. My dad wouldn't be back until the morning. I talked with her about how my day was as we ate dinner. Then she drove me to youth group. This is how most Wednesdays went.

     Youth group was fun but less than eventful. I was glad to see my church friends, though. Like Silas and David and the Redburns. David was best friends with Josiah, who was homeschooled. Silas was also homeschooled. And Kaitlyn and Savanna Redburn went to my school. They weren't twins, but they were in the same grade, a year below me. Savanna was held back a year when she was younger.

     Youth group got over at 8:30. It was a two-hour event. After my mum came to bring me home, I spent the rest of the time between when I got home and when I had to go to bed at 9:30 watching tv. A normal, uneventful Wednesday.