22 - Trust

Lucien is breathing heavily beneath me

Lucien is breathing heavily beneath me. I drop the knife on the floor and we sit in silence for a moment before Lucien twists me around so I'm facing him on the seat with my legs at either side of him.

His gaze is intense and he brings his hands up to cup my cheeks. "You okay?" He asks.

I nod.

"What was he talking about, baby?" He asks softly. "Brent was your ex I killed, that was his brother?" He asks but it's not really a question more a statement.

"Apparently, I didn't know he had a brother until now. I didn't know he was working for Angelo then either," I answer weakly.

"What did Brent do to you love?" He asks me the question softly, stroking my cheek gently with his thumb. But I can see the silent furry on his face.

I bite my cheek, wondering where to start. "I told you this bit already but I met him when I was 15, I was staying in a foster home at the time and he lived close to me. He was my first and only proper boyfriend and he convinced me to stay at his house, my foster parents didn't care what I did as long as they got their money from the government.
He was sweet at first but he was just manipulating me, he started to get controlling after a while," I say trying to keep my voice together.

I trust Lucien.

I want to tell him.

"It started with smaller things like he would talk me out of doing certain things and make me stay at home with him or he would get mad and break something in the house, but he would always apologise right after he did it so I thought it was okay," I say fidgeting with the hem of Lucien's T-shirt that I'm wearing.

I can see he's angry but he's still holding me gently and listening intently to me.

"It kept getting worse over time and he would loose his temper and hit me sometimes. He started crying after it and telling me he was just stressed so I wouldn't leave. He would also manipulate me into sleeping with him, it was subtle at first but in the end I didn't want to and he made me anyway. A few weeks before I ran away I told him I was done with him and tried to leave but he locked me in one of the rooms in his house and everything he did got worse," I feel a single tear drop from my eye and Lucien rubs it away with his thumb.

"You're safe now baby," he whispers.

Lucien is the first person I've told.

I think he probably figured out what happened to me a little while ago but his eyes are red either way and he's clenching his jaw hard.

He gently pulls me closer to him and I wrap my arms around him, "I'm so sorry Nirah. I wish I could bring that fucker back to life just so I can kill him again," he whispers into my hair.

"I'm just happy he's gone."

"You're so strong amore mio. You're the bravest person I know," Lucien says softly to me.