Chapter 18 - True Colours

Warning: gaslighting, manipulative behaviour, physical abuse, narcissistic rage

Lizzie was in a fantastic mood when she and Skye returned from the training grounds. Her performance these last few weeks had been good - more than good, actually - and she felt confident about their upcoming match against the Tutshill Tornados. Still discussing their latest attempts at the Quaffle Cutback with Skye, Lizzie unlocked the front door, entered the house and abruptly paused in the doorframe to the living room.

Sitting on the sofa was Matthew, staring wordlessly into a crackling fire. The air in the room was uncomfortably warm but seemed to drop several degrees as he raised his eyes to her. Behind Lizzie, Skye cleared her throat.

"Blimey, almost forgot," she muttered and dropped her bag on the ground right where she was standing. "Dad wanted to see me. Talk about next match and all, very important business. Better not keep him waiting, aye?"

She Disapparated before Lizzie had the chance to object, leaving her and Matthew alone. Neither of them spoke at first, the only sound in the room the sharp crack of a log bursting from the heat.

"Matthew," Lizzie said with a cheerful voice, forcing herself to smile over a distinct sense of foreboding, "I didn't know you'd be here today. Did I forget another appointment? Because if so, I'm -"

"Who is Orion Amari?"

Lizzie blinked in surprise. "Sorry?"

"Did I stutter? I said, who is Orion Amari?"

Confused, Lizzie furrowed her brow. "He's my teammate."

"And how do you know him?"

His tone made Lizzie shift uncomfortably. "We were on the Hufflepuff team together. I told you about that."

"You did tell me, indeed." Suddenly switching topics, Matthew's eyes dropped to Lizzie's left hand, the fingers of which were fiddling with the fabric of her shirt. "Where's your engagement ring? I hardly see you wearing it anymore."

"I'm not allowed to wear jewellery on the pitch. And even if I was, my gloves wouldn't fit over it."

"That doesn't go for that necklace of yours, apparently."

"You can't really compare a necklace to a diamond ring, can you?" she said defensively, her hand flying to the topaz around her neck. Matthew knew she was bending the rules to wear it on her wrist during matches, but she had never told him the reason why; actually, she was surprised he had noticed her wearing it in the first place.

Matthew's reply was cool. "No, you certainly cannot."

Lizzie swallowed. "Matthew, please, what's the matter?"

His face hardened. "I'm going to ask you one last time. Who is Orion Amari?"

"I really don't understand -"

"Let me jog your memory," Matthew cut her off. "Orion Amari is your ex-boyfriend. The ex- boyfriend who dumped you and left you behind like a piece of rubbish. The ex-boyfriend you refused to tell me anything about, even though I repeatedly asked you to."

Lizzie's mouth had gone dry. "That's not true."

"What of it?" Matthew snarled and rose to his feet, making his way to where Lizzie was standing. He might have looked like he was still in control, but she could tell just how furious he was.

"He had his reasons," she said with a sinking feeling to her stomach.

"What reason could there be to treat you like he did?"