Chapter 25 - Skye's Confession

As the Christmas break drew to its end, Orion found himself reluctant to go home. His conversation with Katriona had left him feeling restless, unsure of whether he should feel determined or desperate in the face of his return to Wigtown.

On their first practice day of the new year, Orion woke with nervous anticipation. He had only seen Lizzie briefly since their match in Kenmare and not spoken to her at all, but even so, his heart started beating faster when she walked into the changing room.

The feeling quickly vanished as he took a closer look at her. There were shadows under her eyes that made her look tired, the face pale and drawn as she took her seat between him and Skye. She didn't speak, and Orion forced himself to listen to Ethan; it was no use fretting over something that had apparently been only in his head. Lizzie's stance on the whole thing between them was apparent, that much he could tell.

The training session Ethan had planned for them was hard, and it wasn't long before every muscle in Orion's body was screaming. Judging by the subdued mutters of his teammates, they weren't doing any better. After about half of their routine was done, Skye advocated for a break; Orion couldn't hear what they were saying, but Skye returned to the team with a burning face and foul mood.

Lizzie was the only one to not mind the drill, performing every exercise fast and without complaint. Watching her, it was hard to believe that she had been too injured to play only a few weeks ago; her shots were hard and her aim precise, and Ethan had more than one appreciative word for her.

Every time her father praised Lizzie, Skye's face grew darker. When they were done for the day, she lost no time returning to the changing room. Orion himself took his time getting changed; Lizzie had already gone, and he didn't want to risk running into her when she so obviously didn't want to talk to him.

He waited until the rest of the team was gone before he picked up his things, ready to leave. As he exited the changing room, a set of voices drifting down the corridor caught his attention. They were Skye's and Ethan's, and from what Orion could tell, they were arguing. He turned away, not wanting to listen in, but something made him stop.

"Do I look like I care?" Ethan had just said. "I don't give a Chizpurfle's shit about how it got to the press. I want to know if it's true or not."

Skye must have answered too quietly for Orion to hear because Ethan's voice took on a sharper note.

"Have you run into a Beater's Bat, Skye? Never thought to tell me about any of this, did you? You said there's no way bringing him back from the dead could bite us in the arse, but what's this, then? Not exactly a straight shot, is it?"

"So what if Lizzie shagged her ex?" Skye replied, sounding defiant. "That's their problem, not ours. I really didn't think this was gonna happen," she added after a moment. "I thought if only we got the old team together, Lizzie would focus on what matters. I needed to do something before she'd marry herself off, and that'd be the last we've seen of her. Couldn't know she'd get herself into a mess like this, now, could I?"

"I trusted you on this, and you let me down," Ethan said regardless. "Thought it would do you good, surrounding you with people you can work with - Godric knows there's little enough of them - but it was a mistake."

He had lowered his voice, and despite himself, Orion found himself listening more closely.

"Have you any idea of what these articles are doing? Won't be long until the press asks about Lizzie scoring off the pitch rather than on it. Not exactly the best circumstances to remind her of what she has in Wigtown. I need her to sign this bloody contract, and soon. Or do you want to hand the Cup to the Magpies again?"