Chapter 23 - The Seed of Doubt

HOLIDAY HEROES OR CHRISTMAS CLOWNS?
Rita Skeeter's take on the first season half, how the Quidditch stars spent their Christmas break and who rang in 1994 with who.

The first half of the season is done and dusted, and our Quidditch teams have exchanged their broomsticks for candy canes. For the Montrose Magpies, the festive period has been particularly merry - they finished the year on top of the League, the Kenmare Kestrels and Wigtown Wanderers hot on their broomstick bristles. For the Chudley Cannons, it's new year, same old story as they are cosying up with the Ballycastle Bats at the bottom of the table. Both teams will need to put their holiday hangovers aside quickly to prevent dropping down a division once the final round begins.

Someone else who should use her season break well is Wigtown's problem Chaser Elizabeth Jameson. For the match against Montrose, coach Parkin gave preference to Jameson's substitute Morgaine Yarwood, and Jameson hasn't been seen attending practice since. Has the Bludger to her wrist renewed her former injury, or is there more to her continued absence?

Matthew put away the Daily Prophet and helped himself to another cup of coffee. There was a satisfied smile playing around his lips, but it vanished as he looked at the vacant seat across from him. Lizzie had been supposed to meet him for breakfast ten minutes ago, but - as per usual - there was still no sign of her.

From the first day of her Christmas break, which Lizzie spent at McRae Manor, the atmosphere between her and Matthew had been strained. She had initially planned on accompanying her parents on their trip to Boston, but Matthew had had different ideas.

"A lot has happened, and we could really use some time with just the two of us. Wouldn't that be nice? It'd be easier for me to focus on your representation if I knew we were alright again."

Lizzie had eventually agreed to stay, but she didn't hide the fact that the manor wasn't really where she wanted to be. She was concise to the point of being rude and spent as much time by herself as Matthew was willing to give her. He was disappointed in her behaviour but convinced that she would calm down sooner or later.

When the door to the breakfast room opened and Lizzie entered, Matthew smiled and indicated for her to join him at the table. The smile she returned looked forced, but surprisingly, she did as he had asked her to. Suppressing a sigh, Matthew's eyes dropped to her wrist; the bandages Lizzie was supposed to wear were nowhere to be seen. Scowling, he snapped his fingers, and Dede, the McRae's house-elf, appeared.

"Master Matthew?"

"My fiancée seems to have misplaced her bandages. Go and see that she is taken care of."

The house-elf bowed, her long, floppy ears brushing over the carpet. She padded towards Lizzie and reached for her hand, but Lizzie withdrew it from her.

"You don't need to do this. I'm fine."

Dede made an unhappy sound. "Please, Miss Lizzie. If Dede doesn't do as Master Matthew has instructed, she will have to drop a pot on her foot. Dede won't like that at all."

Lizzie's eyebrows shot up, but she let the house-elf wrap her hand in some crisp white dressings without another word. Once Dede had left, she frowned at Matthew.

"Was that really necessary?"

"The Healers told you to keep it still. Why won't you listen to what's best for you?"

Lizzie didn't reply, instead staring unhappily at her wrapped-up hand. Matthew let the flare of frustration rising in him go. The Bludger that had hit her during her last match had put her in pain; she hadn't said so, but Matthew knew her well enough to have known anyway. To spare her from her own stubbornness, he had convinced Ethan that it would be better to let someone else play for the remaining games until the Christmas break. Lizzie hadn't been amused to be removed from the roster, but if she wasn't sensible about her health, someone else would have to be.