Chapter 22 - The Tables Turn

Warning: language, manipulative behaviour, narcissistic rage, abusive behaviour, physical harm

As the morning of the Kestrels game arrived, Lizzie had finally reached a resolution. She would talk to Matthew once the match was over, and even now, the prospect filled her with equal parts impatience and dread.

The atmosphere in the changing room was taut when Lizzie and Skye arrived, and once the team had made it to Kenmare, Lizzie's nerves were close to overwhelming. Outside, the crowd was roaring in the stands, fired up by the Kestrels' new announcer, Murphy McNully. Other than the noise drifting over from the pitch, the Wanderers' changing room was silent. No one spoke more than necessary, and it was all Lizzie could do to keep calm until distraction arrived in the form of a familiar shock of red hair poking her head inside the room.

"KC!" Lizzie smiled, rushing to the door to greet her friend. "It's so good to see you!"

Katriona 'KC' Cassiopeia had been a Beater on the Ravenclaw team during Lizzie's time at school. Murphy had taken a special interest in her training, and soon the fiery redhead had not only become a substantial part of his life but of Lizzie's friendship group as well. With a laugh, Katriona returned Lizzie's hug.

"You didn't think I'd pass on seeing you before - and I quote - 'the match of the millennium', did you?" she chuckled at the phrase she had undoubtedly stolen from Murphy. "How's the nerves? Kenmare beat you to second place by a score of 70 points. If you win today, you'll be the new runner-up."

"Tell me about it," Lizzie sighed. "Ethan has been pestering us about the scores for days. I could recite the standings in my sleep."

"I'm married to Murphy McNully. You're gonna have to try harder to impress me," Katriona grinned. Sipping on the coffee she had brought, she looked to where Orion was talking with Skye. "What's the matter with him? Is it his pre-match focus nonsense, or why isn't he coming over to say hello?"

Lizzie sighed. "It's a long story."

"Too long to tell me now?"

"I'm afraid so."

"Fine, I'm letting you off the hook - for now," Katriona winked, glancing between Lizzie and Orion with unveiled curiosity. She looked like she wanted to say more when Ethan impatiently called out for Lizzie.

"Move your butt over here or you're staying on the stands. We're here to pluck some birds, not to have a coffee break."

Lizzie gave Katriona an apologetic look and turned to go. Listening to Ethan's speech, her nerves worsened until she found it hard to sit still any longer. Tapping her fingers impatiently against the handle of her broomstick as she waited for her teammates to file through the door, she jumped when someone gently touched her arm.

"If your fire blazes too hotly, it won't last as long as you need it to," Orion told her quietly, a reassuring smile on his face. "Save your energy for the pitch, Chaser."

Lizzie sighed. "Easier said than done."

"The nerves?"

"What else?" she replied feebly. She felt weak in the knees, and not only because she was strung up with nervous anticipation. Orion hadn't removed his hand, his touch making her heart beat even faster than it was already. After Warren Porter had been the last to leave the changing room, Lizzie realised that, for the first time since she had left Orion's house, the two of them were alone. Orion seemed to think the same thing and quickly let his hand drop. An apologetic look crossed his face.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to -"

"No, I'm sorry," Lizzie shook her head. "I promised you an answer and kept you waiting far longer than is fair."