↳˗ˏˋ the beginning ˊˎ˗↴

———— 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU

"what do you mean she's gone?" megumi's eyes widened, unsure if he heard gojo correctly.

"her room is cleared out. no one saw her leave, either. she must've slipped through the veil at some point. we can't find her, either," gojo sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.

nobara came running down the hall, out of breath as she skidded to a stop. "so, who was going to tell me that [y/n] left?!"

"huh? [y/n] is gone?" itadori peeked his head out from his room.

"no one knows where she is," gojo told them.

"uh, then what are we doing standing around? we need to go find her!" nobara said.

"her room was packed up. i don't think she intends to return."

"eh, she's, like, gone gone? holy shit," itadori leaned against the door frame.

nobara's face turned red as she glared at megumi, "i blame you."

"what? why me?" megumi looked at her in confusion.

"because you were the one person here that she trusted with her entire being. she gave you two whole years of her life, and what did she get in return? nothing! you were supposed to be a constant for her, a person to rely on, and you didn't do shit! god, i could kill you right now. fuck you, fushiguro. come on, itadori, let's go find her," nobara grabbed itadori by the collar and dragged him out.

gojo turned to megumi, seeing that blank look on his face. "i'll give you a minute," he headed out behind the other two.

megumi chewed on the inside of his lip, turning his head towards the room at the end of the hall. he found his feet making way towards it, and soon, he stood in front of the door. it was left slightly ajar, the draft rustling the bottom of his pant legs. he pushed it open, seeing it was dark. he turned the light on, his eyes falling on a blank slate.

it was like the day she first came.

an empty shell.

he glanced at the naked walls, recalling the photos and posters that once littered them. the stripped bed no longer adorned with plushies. the bookcase that once housed the entirety of her items now empty, spots of dust on its surface. the closet that contained dozens of anime tees now empty, with the exception of a single hoodie of his still on one of the hangers while the other hangers gently swayed, creaking against the metal rod.

he found himself thinking about what the room used to be. a safe place. somewhere for him to decompress. somewhere for him to hide from the world. despite it not being his room, he felt safe there. he felt comforted. he regretted not taking more advantage of that feeling. it feels cold now.

he made his way to the side table beside the bed, seeing the drawer halfway opened. there remained a few things, such as loose change, a chapstick, some hair ties. typical things. he saw the edge of what appeared to be a book sticking out. he pulled the drawer open, seeing a diary.

this was odd. she wasn't one to keep diaries. even he knew that much.

was it going to be a problem if he looked at it?

maybe it wasn't a diary. maybe it was just some sort of notebook that she felt she didn't need anymore.

"yeah, that's what we'll go with," he muttered to himself, picking it up. he opened the front cover, almost immediately dropping it.

ten things i hate about megumi

it was boldly written across the first page. she had even decorated around it with random drawings.

he flipped to the first entry, eyes scanning the words written. they were definitely her handwriting. they were definitely her words. he could hear her say the words in his head; that's how much it sounded like her.

he continued flipping through each entry, the next one no less painful than the last. he felt his knees grow weak as he sat down on the bed, the book in his lap since his arms had lost all strength. he got to the last entry, eyes flittering over each word seven times. the end was what got him, though.

so, megumi fushiguro, i hate you.

i hate that i fell so madly, deeply, irrevocably in love with you.

but at the same time, i hate the way i don't hate you.

not even close.

not even a little bit.

not even at all.

goodbye, megumi fushiguro.

f̶r̶o̶m̶

s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶r̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶

b̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶a̶r̶d̶s̶

y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶r̶u̶l̶y̶ ̶

love,

[y/n] [l/n].

his eyes blurred before he even realized it. he sniffled softly as he wiped the tears that fought to escape his eyes. he stared at the words on the page for a long time.

she didn't hate him.

she had every reason to, but she didn't.

god, that hurt him so much more than her leaving.

he set the diary down on the bed, tapping his finger anxiously against his knee. he ripped a blank page out, grabbing a pen he found on the floor. he didn't know what to write, but he wrote something. hopefully it was good enough.

he let out a sadistic chuckle as he threw his head back, licking his teeth.

no.

it was never going to be enough.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒