XXX

Trigger warning: this chapter mentions SA & domestic violence. Please do not read if those topics will trigger you. <3

Margo
~
I can tell Collin is trying to protect me and ensure that I have a good night, and honestly it warms my heart.

We just walked into the dance and he's holding onto my hand for dear life. I don't know if it's more for him or me.

Either way, his strong hold on me and the powerful scent of his cologne is enough to sooth my anxiety.

I also smoked like half a pack of cigarettes before getting on the subway, so I guess that helped a bit.

Meeting Collin's parents wasn't as bad as I though. Mr. Fitzpatrick is a bit scary though. He kept staring at me like he knew my secret. Mrs. Fitzpatrick was sweet though, and very funny.

I'm still in awe at how different our home lives are. Sure, we both have neglectful parents but he lives in a mansion on the richest side of the city while I'm in a one story ranch in Harlem. His kitchen was practically the size of my entire house.

I'm just glad they didn't ask me any questions. I wouldn't be able to put on the rich girl façade.

"You want something to drink?" Collin leans down to whisper in my ear, sending tingles down my spine. I love when he does that.

I shake my head and he nods, pulling me towards the drink table anyway. He grabs a bottle of water for himself and tells me I can have as much as I want.

There aren't too many people yet but the music is loud, considering there's a giant stage with a random band singing the classics. Live music? How rich are these kids?

We go to sit at one of the small tables in the corner, the bright multicolor lights flashing around the room, blinding me.

"So, what do you say we find the roof?" Collin says, speaking up a bit so I can hear him over the music. I'm shocked at what he said. Usually I'm the one recommending the bad ideas.

I raise my brows at him. "I thought you wanted to dance?" I joke.

He frowns and looks at the few kids standing around, laughing and dancing to the music. "Definitely not."

I laugh. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but... what if we just give it a shot?"

Collin stares at me like I just punched him. "Are you saying you want to stay at this dance with a bunch of kids you don't know?"

I nod. "Yep," no, actually, I don't, but I think it'd be good for Collin to be around his peers with someone he can lean on when he gets anxious. I want him to see that these kids don't mean anything. We just have to get through high school and then we'll never see them again. He lets these strangers hold him back and it breaks my heart.

"Why?"

I shrug. "Maybe it will be fun,"

Collin seems to think i've lost my mind. "Are you feeling okay?"

He puts the back of his hand to my forehead as if checking my temperature. I push his arm away, rolling my eyes. "I'm fine. Let's just stay for a little bit, if we hate it we can go to the roof. Deal?"