XXXVII

Collin
~
I knew exactly what library Margo was talking about when she texted me.

We tried to play our game at one, but we ended up talking about other things. Well, arguing. Regardless, we've met there a couple of times, so I know where to go.

I quickly throw on some jeans, a hoodie, sneakers, and head for the door. I made sure to lock my bedroom door just incase and quietly tiptoe down the stairs and to the front door.

I'm pretty positive that even if my parents did hear me leave, they wouldn't go looking for me. I think their ultimate tactic with me is to avoid.

I saw Margo's text a few minutes after she sent it and she didn't mention a time, so I'm hoping she meant right now.

Fuck, is the library even open? I don't know. I'm too worried to text her back to clarify. I don't want to risk her parents seeing it and lugging her away to Pennsylvania.

It's only a short subway ride to the public library. I spend the entire trip wondering how these next two weeks are going to go. I'm either going to spend them back at Orchard Hills, watching over the love of my life, or I'll be sitting at home, wishing I was in a psych ward. Great options.

The robotic voice announces my stop and I prepare to get off the train. The air is slowly getting colder as October comes to a close. I am not emotionally prepared for another winter.

I leave the subway station and head for the library, keeping my hood up and my head down. Despite the late hour, the city is still buzzing.

The library is in my line of vision and I can already tell that it's closed. Fuck.

I keep walking towards it anyway. I know Margo would've left a time if she didn't mean tonight.

Sure enough, I see a person leaning on the side of the building, hoodie covering their face, but I know it's her.

Part of me wants to yell at her for meeting me in the middle of the night where X could easily follow her and harass her. The thought of him watching her makes my entire body fill with rage.

"Margo?" I whisper. Her head immediately lifts, her lifeless eyes licking with mine. She looks so empty.

I close the distance between us, wrapping my arms around her and holding her tight. The smell of cigarettes fills my nostrils and it's a telltale sign that she's anxious. She also just loves to smoke, which is why I don't try to talk her out of her habit.
Whatever helps her get through this life, I support.

"I'm sorry he was such a dick. I'd never let him hurt you or your family." Margo's frail body is holding me so tight I'm afraid she might break.

"Shh. Don't apologize for him." I gently run my hand through her hair, trying to calm her.

We pull apart, looking into each others eyes. "They're admitting me in the morning," she whispers.

I sigh, closing my eyes. "I told my parents I want to go back."

Margo's eyes widen. "What? Why would you say that?"

"Is that a serious question?"

Margo gives me a stern look. "Collin."