Chapter 7 - Letting Go

Skylar

It had been nearly a week since I last saw Dmitri. The goodbyes exchanged as I got out of his SUV actually the only words I have spoken to anyone in five days. Which is why the knock on the door is so unexpected.

Walking over to the door I know it isn't Dmitri, his scent seemingly ingrained under my skin. But he is close.

I open the door, the last person in the world I would expect to be standing there. Ben. The last time I remember seeing him was over two and a half years ago, just before I moved to Willow Falls. He had enrolled in military school. Well, at least that's what he told me.

Apparently, that was all hogwash, and he was a werewolf who was beta of the Shadow Wolves Pack, and he knew about me being cursed. Just like my aunt and uncle did. Everyone just keeping secrets from me.

I was told by Raina that the last time I actually saw him was at Dmitri's villa in Spain after the Annual Gathering dinner fiasco where I erupted into flames.

"What are you doing here?" The look on his face changes to shocked, I suppose at my less-than-warm welcome.

"Sky, I came to see how you are doing," he says, recovering slightly as he smiles. "Can I come in?"

The way he is smiling makes me nostalgic for the old days, my resolve faltering slightly when he holds out a brown bag. Homemade cookies. The smell wafts up to me, my mouth watering as I remember the measly piece of toast I had for breakfast this morning. He must have been to see my aunt and uncle as I would know the smell of my aunt's chewy chocolate chip cookies anywhere.

Moving out of the way reluctantly, I allow him to enter as I close the door behind him, not before first catching sight of Dmitri chatting to Dylan off in the distance.

"I like your new place, it's cozy," he says, handing me the bag of cookies.

I head to the kitchen, placing the cookies on the counter as I put the kettle on.

"Do you want something to drink?" I ask him, already prepping my cup of tea.

"Just some water, thanks Sky." He walks into the kitchen, looking around curiously as he takes in my new surroundings. "So how have you been? Really?"

From where I am leaning against the counter, I compare this new version of him to my memory. He has bulked up substantially but his 6'1" frame carries it well. His straight black hair which used to hang over his ears it styled in a shorter less messy style, pushed out of his face with gel. His blue eyes are the only thing that hasn't really changed. In them resides concern, a look I see so often in the eyes that look at me.

"I know you have been told about what happened. Everything that occurred when your parents died, how I, your aunt and uncle, knew about the curse. How we kept it from you. It was as hard for me to tell you then as it is now. And I am still as sorry now as I was then. We just wanted to protect you. From this world," he says, gesturing around us.

"I know we didn't do the best job but before that, we were close Sky. We were like brother and sister. I miss that."

I ponder on his words, memories of us growing up together flashing through my mind like a strobe light.

"What's going on with you?" He approaches me slowly before gently grasping my shoulders. "This isn't the Sky I knew before. The Sky who would forgive easily if there was a good enough reason. The Sky that was brave and knew who she was and what she wanted? I remember when your aunt and uncle said you had to go to university and study and you defied them, instead following your dream, even opening up a successful business doing what you love."

I break free from his grip, walking into the lounge, his words stirring emotions in me that I had not bothered facing since everything that had happened. Over the last six months, over the last two years. I wasn't the same person anymore.

"Things change. Why are you here?" I ask him, accusation in my tone. Anger the go-to emotion for me now.

"Because I care about you. Not just me. Your aunt and uncle. Raina and Ally. Dmitri. We all care about you. Is that so hard to imagine? For fucks sake Sky, look at me," he says loudly, my eyes anywhere but on him.

"What Ben? What exactly do you want from me? 'Poor little Sky, the girl with powers who lost her memory, who was lied to her whole life, boo, hoo'" I say in a sing-song tone, looking at him.

"That is who I have become. And I fucking hate it. No one understands." Looking away, I silently curse the tears that start brimming in my eyes as Ben pushes buttons that hit nerves that have been dormant.

"Help me, help us, understand. We want to be here for you, but you are pushing us away. You are doing this to yourself. Punishing yourself, for what?" Ben asks, his hand running through his hair in frustration. "For fucks sake Sky, do something. Shout, scream, cry. Anything but this...this, whatever this is," he says, pointing at me before looking away in frustration.

"You don't like what you see then leave Ben. Leave. Like my parents did. Like my memories did. Like everyone and everything does, just go! You're all liars anyway!" I shout, looking away as tears stream down my face. Hoping to hide the tears that are running down my face, I look to the side as I unlock the door, holding it open for Ben to leave.

As I do, I notice Dmitri standing on the porch close to the door. Just great. Tears drop from my eyes to land on the wooden floor, the light brown wood turning dark brown as the moisture seeps into the dryness.

"We're not going anywhere Skylar," Dmitri says, taking a step towards me slowly, his hand reaching out for my free one hanging at my side.

"Fine, then I'll go," I say, side-stepping Dmitri as I walk around him and off the porch. The tears are still falling as I hear his footsteps following, spurring me into a run. I run past my favorite tree and into the field, my heart beating fast as my legs hit the ground, the speed I can run at still surprising me.

I keep running, the sound of similarly running feet still behind me. I run past a boulder, the terrain changing from field to forest as I run past trees, side-stepping small bushes in my path. I can feel whoever is running behind me catching up to me, their feet hitting the floor strong and sure. Just as I am about to turn to avoid a small ledge, my foot hooks on a branch, the impact causing me to pivot forward. I close my eyes, but instead of darkness, I see a small green ring with flowers on it before the vision vanishes, and pain tears through my body as I fly through the air.

But instead of landing painfully on the forest floor in a pile of skin and bones as expected, I land on my feet, my hands cushioning the blow in the front. What I see when I open my eyes has me shutting my eyes tightly before re-opening them. The hands in front of me can't be my hands. The white fur and claws on these were similar to someone else's I have seen before. Something else. A Lycan.

I whip my head up as the most divine scent reaches my nose. Sandalwood and pine.

Please don't forget to comment and vote!

Visit https://www.patreon.com/greenwitchwrites (search for me in google as Adult rated accounts won't come up in the Patreon search in app) for early access to one or two chapters and other arbitrary posts.