Devil Boy

When I first found out that Matt is the Devil of Hell's Kitchen, it was obviously a shock to the system. As a concerned friend, I'm constantly worried that he's gonna die. He always shows up to work covered in cuts and bruises - though that makes sense now. I sleep less at night because I've been stitching him up since Claire left. I'm scared that I'll be asleep and he'll turn up and bleed out on my couch.

However, there is a positive to all this madness. I feel a little safer walking alone at night knowing that, if I get in trouble, Matt will turn up and bail me out. This wasn't an immediate feeling though. It's still terrifying because of the regular dangers and the fact that Matt might be dealing with something more important. As time has gone on, I've had a bit more fun with it - sometimes messing with Matt. Sometimes I feel guilty for taking his attention away from whatever he's doing. But, at the end of the day, he can hear everything in the city and will go elsewhere if it's important.

Tonight has been eventful to say the least. I made a new friend which is rare for me. The circumstances weren't ideal though. The poor woman was being cat-called - and I broke a nose or two. Maybe a jaw. Either way, we went to get drinks at Josie's to let off some steam. A few drinks later, she got in a taxi and headed home. I had another drink before leaving.

Feeling good about myself, I decide to walk through some back alleys to try and lure Matt. With my path being lit only by dim bulbs on the back of surrounding buildings, I hum a familiar tune from the night we met. We were at a bar on campus. Foggy was doing Britney karaoke - and bombing. Matt and I were the only people who joined in with him. They invited me to their table after his performance and we quickly became inseparable.

As I continue strolling alone, I suddenly feel a familiar presence. Out of the corner of my eye, I see some subtle movement in the low light. I can't help but smirk as I realise I've won.

"I know you're there, devil boy."

"Devil boy?" He questions with a confused laugh as he jumps to the ground in front of me.

"Well, you don't want me to call you by your real name when you're on patrol. So, devil boy it is." I shrug.

"I'll take it."

"You're gonna be so proud of me when I tell you what I did earlier." I state excitedly as we begin slowly wandering through empty alleys and streets. "I made a friend. Me, a friend!"

"I believe so. And you gave those guys hell before you left. Rightly so."

"How the hell do you know that?" I throw my hands up as he doesn't let me finish the story.

"I heard you from the other side of the city." He chuckles softly with a tone of obviousness.

"Of course you did."

"I can smell the booze by the way. Might want to ease up for the night." The nerve.

"Hey, I haven't had that much! I'm tipsy at most. You're senses are just way out of whack." I quickly defend myself.

"Sure. Is that why you can't walk in a straight line and are using me as a crutch?" He teases.

"Oh, shut up. It's been a long night and I'm in heels. I struggle to walk straight when I'm sober."

"So, you admit that you're drunk?"

"I hate you." I playful whack his arm before stumbling into him. Maybe I drank more than I thought.

"Love you too."

"Where the hell are we going?" I ask as I realise that I've just been walking aimlessly since Matt found me.

"You're going home. I'm just making sure that you get there in one piece."

"Aww, that's so nice." The alcohol is definitely kicking in now. "I'm okay though. I'll see you at work." I pat his back and start walking the other way.

"Really? Where are you going?"

"Home, silly." I laugh at him.

"Well, last time I checked, you don't live with Foggy."

"Huh?"

"You're going the wrong way. Come on, I'll take you home." He extends his  hand out to me.

"Don't fall in love with me, Murdock." I ran back to him and hold his hand. "I mean devil boy." I quickly correct myself.

Despite being in full Daredevil gear, Matt and I walk hand in hand back to my place. We keep quiet to avoid unwanted and potentially dangerous attention. About 7 minutes later, we arrive at my front door.

"Do yourself a favour: get stuff ready for the hangover and get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow." He instructs me and goes to leave.

"Where are you going?" I whine and grab his arm to stop him. "Come hang out with me."

"I'd love to but I have to get back to work."

"You can hear the whole city. You can leave if something comes up. Please."

"Alright."

Cut to the next day...

I woke up this morning with a killer headache. I also jumped out of my skin a little when I turned to find Matt in my bed. What the hell happened last night? Last thing I remember was Matt coming in and having a few drinks with me. Oh... Oh no. Work is gonna be awkward today and I trust Foggy is gonna make that worse.