Hospital

Hell's Kitchen is a war zone - just when I think it can't look any more rundown. Blazing fires everywhere you look. Hospitals are bound to be overrun by sudden casualties. Frantic fleeing and panicked screams fill the thick, smokey air. Filled with worry as I stare at the hysteria through my bedroom window, I call my few friends, desperate for someone to pick up - but nobody does.

Anxiety bubbling over by the radio silence, I make a risky move. With a surge of adrenaline, I run head-on into the chaos - praying that I don't stumble upon a familiar corpse. As I pass the most logical locations, I shout for my friends until I feel like my lungs are about to give out. It's no use. I might as well be the only person on the planet. A sense of dread washes over me as I figure that the only place left to look is the hospitals. Whilst walking in that direction, I spot a little girl crying on the sidewalk.

"Are you alright?" I approach her.

"I can't find my mommy and daddy." She sobs. "I looked everywhere."

"Yeah, I can't find my friends either." I admit as I stare at the reflection of the frightened little girl I am on the inside. "How about we look for them together?" I offer.

"Okay." She wipes away her tears and takes my hand.

"I'm Y/N. What's your name?" I ask her as we start walking towards the hospital.

"Sadie."

"How old are you?"

"9."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Sadie. We'll find your parents, I promise."

"Thank you." She sniffs.

I continue to converse with the young girl in an attempt to distract us both from a harsh reality that could easily get worse. She seems like a good kid - I really hope we find her parents. As we near the final corner, something in my gut senses imminent danger. Eyes scrunched up tightly, I quickly pull Sadie to the other side of me and shield her with my body as something explodes in the building across the street.

As I open my eyes, Sadie cowers in fear below me. Blood drips from the scratches and cuts on my face as sharp pain grows in other places. I ignore it best I can and see to Sadie as my main priority.

"Are you okay?" I ask the shaking child with a slight ringing in my head.  She just nods frantically with wide eyes.

"Y-You're-" She stutters as she reaches for the debris lodged in my side.

"I know, I know. Don't touch it, moving it will just make it worse. Come on, we're almost there."

She squeezes my hand as I struggle though the final stretch. Each step radiates the pain. As we enter the hospital, I start to feel the adrenaline wearing off. Writhing in agony, I get the attention of staff with urgency. Someone takes Sadie to finish what I was helping with as the sight of my injuries manages to get me immediate attention.

Sadie was scared to leave me, but I convinced her that everything would be fine. As the doctors fix me up, all I can think about is. Sadie and my friends - even with the risk of my injuries turning septic and killing me. What if she doesn't find her parents? What if she does but they're in a bad way or dead? The poor girl will be traumatised as it is. Where's Matt, Foggy and Karen? Were they together? Are they still? Matt's a blind guy in a burning city, how is he meant to stay safe, especially if he's alone? Karen can take care of herself in something like this - but what about Foggy? I've known him my whole life - he'd help a kid who couldn't find their parents no matter the situation. What if that's what happened? That's what I did and look where I am.

All patched up, I'm wheeled through crowded halls in search of a rare spare bed. Overwhelmed and in need of rest, I keep my eyes shut - hoping this is the last of it. However, a familiar voice snaps them open again.