John Lennon #2 (part four)

John and I walked slowly down the street. We didn't speak. We didn't hardly look at each other.

He had given me his jacket shortly after we parted ways with Stu. He held it out, allowing me to slip my arms through the sleeves.

"Thank you." I said.

"You're welcome, Sunshine." He replied, slinging his arm around my shoulders and kissing my temple.

It felt so right. A part of me felt loved and comfortable with him like that. Like I could stay wrapped around him forever.

But, another part of me was weirded out by his behaviour. In all the years I had known him, John had never called me anything but Clara or Suzy Parker. In recent days, it had developed to 'Sunshine.' But why Sunshine?

I rested my head on his shoulder, feeling somewhat content in the awkward position I had myself walking in.

"Did you at least have fun tonight?" He asked, turning his head to face me.

I looked up to him, seeing a little sparkle in his hooded, brown eyes.

"Yes, I did."

"Good." He smiled.

The side of his face lit up with the reflection of a firework shooting up in the air. We looked up to it, marveling in the way the multi-colored sparks joined every star in the dim sky for a split second, then gently rained down, fading into nothingness before it feathered the ground.

"So beautiful..." I mumbled, continuing to watch the fireworks.

"Must be the grand finale." John said.

I was utterly gobsmacked at the sight in front of me. For seventeen years I was shielded from the flaming, chaotic beauty of fireworks for reasons I couldn't exactly pin-point. Why was I hidden from this side of the world?

Actually, I suppose one reason nearly did happen.

After a moment, I hiccupped loudly, interrupting our wonderful moment.

"What the hell was that?" John laughed.

I threw my head back in an ear-splitting cackle. It nearly deafened the few remaining fireworks that exploded over our heads.

"Shhh, Clara." He laughed, pushing his lips to my ear. "You're so loud."

"Oh, shut up."

Our giggles escalated to laughter the further we got down the street. The fireworks on the side of town we were on had subsided, making us the loudest things around.

I didn't want to forget this time with John Lennon ever. It was the most free and free experience of my life and I didn't want it to end.

"Remember remember the fifth of November, Gunpowder Treason and plot," I started singing.

Actually, it wasn't really singing, it was more drunk shouting and laughing as we stumbled down the pavement to my street. "I see no reason-"

"For it not to be treason! My Clara's birthday- who could ever forget her!" John yelled, his voice echoing off the houses.

I laughed obnoxiously again, pressing myself into his torso as he clumsily wrapped his arms around me. We started singing, but it was more like drunken shouting more than singing. 

"Guy Fawkes and his companions did the scheme contrive, to blow the King and Parliament all up alive. Threescore barrels, laid below, to prove old England's overthrow. But, by God's providence, him they catch, with a dark lantern, lighting a match!"