𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙮 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣.

─☼☼☼─

𝘽𝙔 𝙈𝙄𝘿𝘿𝘼𝙔 𝙏𝙃𝙀 next day, so much had happened that the fact that Charlotte had completely lost her mind and kissed JJ the night before was the last thing she was worried about. 

John B had showed up at the Chateau in the early morning, apparently he had been freed on the grounds that there was insufficient evidence. Obviously, the Pogues were ecstatic that he was back, it was like their world was slowly healing. 

Sarah showed up a few hours after that, delivered on boat by none other than Topper Thornton. Why, you ask? Well, that would be because her brother tried to kill her the night before. Her attempt to right all wrongs by speaking to Wheezie clearly had not gone according to plan. 

Charlotte hadn't really said a word to anyone since the revelation had been made. They had all split up, John B and Sarah having a much needed conversation, Kie and Pope were working on the mysterious key he had found, which had left Charlotte and JJ. 

The two of them sat on the porch, Charlotte staring at the same brick pattern she had been for the past ten minutes. 

"Hey, Charley?" JJ wondered, taking a long drink of his beer. 

She pulled her eyes away from the wall, blinking for a moment to refocus her attention. "Yeah?" She whispered, voice hoarse.

It was now JJ who seemed to focus his gaze somewhere far away for a moment. "I don't think you should be alone with him anymore. No matter what."

He continued to avoid her gaze for a few more seconds, but when he turned to look at her, his eyes were full of genuine worry. 

Charlotte was silent as she pushed the lump down in her throat, not really knowing what to say. 

"I'm not scared of him." She finally answered, but she wasn't even sure she believed her own words. 

JJ shook his head. "Yeah, well maybe you should be. If he was willing to do that to his own sister then ─"

"Then he'd be more than willing to do it to me." She finished his thought, not totally impressed with the sentiment. 

"Exactly." He nodded, grateful that she was on the same wavelength as him. 

But Charlotte wasn't, not really. 

Without saying another word, she stood, heading for the screen door. JJ sat up, setting his beer down before regarding her with a confused expression. "Where are you going?"

Charlotte turned to face him, preparing to be met with his wrath. "To talk to Rafe."

JJ's jaw slacked as an incredulous look covered his face. "Are you fucking kidding me? Did you not hear a word that I just said."

"I heard you." Charlotte answered, turning back toward the door. "But I'm done with this bullshit."

JJ threw his arms up, looking for backup from someone who wasn't there. "You're done with this bullshit." He mocked. "So you're gonna go talk to the murdering psychopath who tried to kill his sister last night?"

"He's not going to ─"

"Don't you dare say he's not going to hurt you, because I know you're not that stupid, Charlotte." His incredulous expression had turned to one of anger.