Chapter 13

"I've been expecting you," Theodore says from behind me. I should've expected him as well, since he already lied about working overtime once, but I hoped this time it would be real. "Your mother called me and told me what you did, you little rat."

He instructs me to go forward, up the friable staircase. With every new step, my heart starts racing faster. My chances of overpowering him alone are very slim at best, but doing so when he has a gun is nearly impossible.

When we reach the top of the stairs, I see two rooms on the opposite sides. He leads me into the right one, and as soon as we enter, I see a body crumpled on the hard wooden floor.

"Chris!" I yell out and try to run to his side, but Theodore grabs my hand and yanks me back. He turns me around so that my back is pressed onto the opposite wall, and I yelp at the impact. He stands a few steps away from me, not a lot, but just enough to block my way with ease.

"Why are you doing this?" I scowl at him. If I want to get Chris out of here, I need to stall until my brain starts working fast enough to come up with a plan. Hopefully, the police found out I ran away by now and will try to follow me here.

Theodore scowls back at me, but his eyes are full of amusement, unlike mine. "What do you think?"

"Because you're narcissistic psychopaths," I spit out, and then yelp again when he slaps me across the cheek.

"Let me ask you one question in return. Did you pretend to have no memories this whole time, or did you just remember everything?"

I sneer at him while cupping my cheek. "Don't be stupid, if I knew everything from the start, I would've come here sooner."

"Don't talk to me like that!" He slaps me again, and this time my knees buckle. I'm grateful that I have a wall behind me as support. "When did you remember?"

"Why would I tell you?"

"Because," he says, leisurely turning the gun in Chris's direction, "one bullet is enough to kill him on the spot. It would be a real shame for that to happen after you worked so hard to get here."

The panic must be clear on my face, because he laughs as I blurt out, "Two days before the doctor's appointment." I look at Chris's unconscious body on the floor, trying not to pay attention to Theodore's triumphant expression. "Why were you keeping him here this whole time?"

"Well, we couldn't just let him go after you tattled everything to him, right? But don't worry, your little boyfriend isn't seriously hurt... just a little starved."

Just when I'm about to reply, we hear the sound of footsteps echoing downstairs. He grabs my hand and drags me to the other side of the room, gesturing to stay quiet. We shield Chris's unconscious body as he puts a gun to my temple.

The footsteps approach slowly but confidently, as if the person knows exactly where they're headed. Both of us hold our breaths in anticipation, when Jasmine walks into the room.

"Oh, it's you," Theodore sighs, letting me go.

She doesn't pay any attention to him, fixing her venomous gaze onto me. "You little brat!" she growls, turning to Theodore. "That stupid officer said they won't do anything until I come and pick her up, but if she escaped them, they might be on their way here soon." For the first time, I pray that she's right and that Officer Marsh is on his way here.

"It's all your fault. You were supposed to keep an eye on her!"

A bitter laugh leaves my mouth, interrupting their quarrel. "Is that all I am to you? Something to keep an eye on? Your little pet?"

Jasmine glares at me. "I gave birth to you! Your life is in my hands!"

"Our hands," Theodore adds.

"That's not the way to treat your own child!" I cry out. "I'm not your pet, I'm a person! I shouldn't be a little copy of you that you get to control my entire life because you think that's the best way to fulfill your selfish desires." With every new word, I feel a huge weight disappear from my chest. Adrenaline gives me the strength I always needed to tell them everything I want. I'd confront them occasionally, but I had to stop myself from going too far every time. No matter what happens at the end of the night, I don't need to do so anymore.

"I've been putting up with your garbage treatment my entire life, and I'm sick of it! The only time I've had some piece in my life was when I lost my memories and couldn't remember how sick in the head you are." My voice cracks just when a tear slips out of my eye and rolls down my cheek, but I don't let that stop me. "Who would even go as far as to kidnap their own child just because they wanted a better life for themself? And when you found out I lost my memories and couldn't remember anything, the first thing you did was try to brainwash me again? And not only that, but you've also taken hostage of the only person who's ever treated me with respect and actually wanted to help me. I hate you," I hiss. "I freaking hate you!"

"Will you shut up already?" Jasmine retorts as if I haven't said anything. With shaky hands, I silently wipe the tears off of my face.

"No, both of you shut up!" Theodore shouts at us and then turns to Jasmine, completely ignoring me. "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

We all stand still for a few moments before he says, "Nothing, I must've imagined something." He shakes his head, then points at Chris. "Get the boy and let's go."

She walks over to him and tries to pick him up. I expect her to struggle considering his weight, but he must've lost a lot of it in the meantime since she gets him on his feet with ease. I look at the domineering smile plastered on her face as she stares right at me.

Theodore doesn't say anything, and only grips my hands firmer, nodding towards the door. It looks like they notice the footsteps a second too late, because as soon as the two of them start dragging us towards the door, five policemen block the exit, pointing guns at my parents.