Off you go

Once he had a story in mind, he'd always put away his note book, with all the other plots he didn't selected.

--Off you go, for now... He'd say, to the rest of his ideas.

 And then, he'd begin the process of immersing himself in the story he was about to write. 

To do so, he'd shut off, all phone, tv, computer; he'd closed the doors, curtains and windows. And would write down, the names, the places, the plots twists, the conflicts, inciting incident, the ups and downs, and all the possible unfolding of the situation. He would write them all on little pieces of paper and spread them all on the floor; all over the house. 

Then he would tour the world he was creating, just like you'd do when visiting a foreign country. He'd meet the characters, visit the places, learn about their history, their traditions, their habits; sightseeing the country side and checking on the buildings and their architecture. And once he was immersed enough in the story, to be able to write it alive, and breathing on the pages, he'd stop the tour, open everything and go for a walk. He was in his future reality, so he could walk in ours with no fear of being disturbed. 

He did all that, and was ready to write his next bestseller. His other unwritten plots, forgotten for a while; until the next book.