Only if you think you have lost it

The Lady Elisabetta de Medici of Florence!" A man announced her to the people in the great hall. Elisabetta descended the stairs with pride and class, the eyes of all were upon her. The red gown she was wearing was much heavier than the clothes she used to wear at home, it had many layers cause of the cold weather. When she curtsied to the king and queen, part of her dress got caught under her shoe, causing her to fall on the floor. The hall was stunned, but none of them helped her. Tears ran down her cheeks and she rushed to her chambers.

"How long will it be before my family hears about this, they'll surely be disappointed," she thought to herself. Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Her gaze wandered to it. "May I enter," said the person behind the door. It was a male voice and a deep one at that. She did not answer and the stranger entered my chambers, it was the King! "Your M-Majesty," she said as she curtsied deeply at him, but Elisabetta dared not look at him. He lifted my chin so that their eyes met. They were both speechless, but after a few minutes, Elisabetta started crying again. "Shh, do not cry. It's all right." He reassured her and wiped away the tears. But the tears would not stop. "Do you want to talk?" she nodded and sat down on her bed, and he sat down next to her. "I have just embarrassed myself in front of the whole court, soon word will spread that a daughter of the most powerful noble family in Italy... was not even able to curtsy to the King and Queen, they will be disappointed and I will be a disgrace," She explained herself. But suddenly... he embraced her. She was too stunned to speak. "I am sorry, I thought you might need it," he interrupted the hug and handed her a napkin. She quickly wiped the remaining tears. "You should go back to the ball, it might restore your honour, but only if you think you have lost it." He said and held out his hand to her. She took it hesitantly and stood up.

He accompanied her into the great hall and kissed her hand before he left. She went around greeting unknown people. "Do you like these balls?" She heard a voice behind her. "Not really, but what do you care, sir?" Sir Thomas Knollys stood behind her and looked down at Elisabetta's face. She had to solve the height problem, maybe wear a pair of chopines. "Well, my lady has appointed me her protector, so I do care." He said and handed Elisabetta a piece of bread. "Sir, I do not need protection anymore, I am in Hampton Court now," She said. He smirked "If my lady is sure", kissed my hand, and disappeared into the crowd. At that moment she felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around.

"Anne! I was worried sick," Elisabetta said, hugging her friend. "We were not allowed to visit you, you were not conscious for five days, Elisabetta. What happened?" Well, she did not know the answer either. "I do not know, Anne, I just fell asleep and could not wake up, it was probably just the long journey I had to take." Anne did not seem very satisfied with her answers. "Could you answer me something, Anne?" She said, quickly changing the subject. "Why was I given three ladies to serve me, If I was supposed to be a lady in waiting to Queen Catherine?" She had the same gaze Elisabetta had while hearing of it. "I don't know, many just for the first weeks, you come after all from a very high noble family" She answered, but that did not enlight Elisabetta at all. "Would you like to dance?" She offered Anne. She smiled as Elisabetta dragged her onto the dance floor. It was unusual that two women danced together but if no man asked Elisabetta, she would be free to choose. They danced for roughly half an hour. During that time Elisabetta spotted the eyes of King Henry upon her. After the dance, they sat down on two chairs and ordered a maid to bring them two cups of red wine. While drinking they talked about their families, Anne had a sister called Mary and a brother called George. "I would like to meet your brother, many he would be a suitable match," Elisabetta joked making Anne giggle.

"LadyBoleyn?" a man asked, "May I ask for this dance?" Anne smirkedat Elisabetta and took the man's hand. "It would be a pleasure" sheanswered. Elisabetta had nothing better to do than to be bored and nip on hercup of wine. "May I ask for this dance?" She heard the king's voicesay. "But you have your queen" She replied, but he was not giving in" My queen went into her chambers. It would honour me, lady De Medici"He offered her his hand and she took it. After short applause, he guided her tothe dance floor and put his hand around her waist. As they danced she noticedthat many people kept staring at us, but the King lifted her in the air and sheforgot all her doubts and concerns. He had a big smile on his face when thedance ended. "Thank you miss," he said while kissing her hand,"tonight you made me the luckiest man alive." She blushed a bit andcurtsied before leaving and going to her chambers.