A reconciliation

Windsor Castle
April 1529

Elizabeth De Medici, now five months long Queen of England, was in her compartments examining the books sent to her by her husband. Most were protestant lectures to propel her mind to the new faith, not the old one she clasped so tightly onto. She buried her face into her hands from exhaustion and complete disinterest. When she raised her head again, she saw her mistress of the robes, Anne Boleyn, enter. The women were extremely close, suspiciously close, one might think. They shared everything, told everything, and even did everything together. 
"I always tell you, if you look at these books, you gain nothing but tiredness from them, not knowledge."
Anne complained again and helped Elizabeth get up. She smiled at her while correcting her loose hair. 
"What do you think of a walk outside in the sun? It would certainly give you more pleasure than these texts."
Elizabeth smiled at Anne and handed her one of the books. Anne liked the new faith as much as Elizabeth despised it, but both agreed not to interfere with each other's beliefs, as it is an affair both think should be left to their mind and consciousness. As they were ready to leave the room, Thomas Knollys, the Queen's newly chosen protector, stepped into the doorframe.
"My Queen, I believe you are forced to reschedule the walk. Charles Brandon, The Duke of Suffolk, has requested an audience."
Elizabeth sought and seated back down on her chair.
"Anne,  could you bring me a cup of wine? I think that after this conversation, I may require it."
Anne laughed and left the chamber. The room was not very habitable for Elizabeth's tastes. It was very dark because of the small windows, and the candles everywhere did not give much light. The floor was made of stone and laid out with big carpets. Luckily this was only a temporary stay. They usually stay at Hampton court or Whitehall palace. There she had big rooms with normally sized windows and much light.

"The Duke of Suffolk, your Majesty"
Sir Thomas announced. Thomas was a young knight, not older than Elizabeth. She asked her husband to have him as her protector after he accompanied her from Florence to England. Elizabeth did not look off the letters sent to her especially the one from the pope. He excommunicated her and her husband but granted mercy to the rest of the Medici family. Brandon entered the chamber without making a sound, only his voice drafting attention onto him.
"My Queen, it is such a beautiful day, so I decided to visit you in your humble compartments. I have seen your boy today with the king. He adores the child as it would be his. One day he is going to become a fine knight and fearsome warrior. What do you hope he comes to be, your Majesty?"
Elizabeth glared at him.  Brandon only grinned with a confident smile while looking down at her. Not only did this make Elizabeth insecure, but it made her feel below him. But she was not. She was the Queen of England. 
"What do you yearn for this time, your Grace?"
She said, to bring the matter quickly to an end. Any moment longer in this room with this man made her more and more anxious. Elizabeth tried to keep her breath at a regular speed. 
"I nearly want to improve our relationship, your majesty. As you know, I have been longer at court than you, and I have also known Henry much longer than you. So, I think I might give you some advice."
The Duke explained and sat down in front of her. He brushed with his hand through his dark hair and continued.
"Court is... a very intricate matter. One single misstep and you may land in the tower."
Elizabeth started to laugh.
"So you think my husband will send me to the tower? I knew you were not very keen on me, but to suggest this is truly ridiculous."
"I have known Henry for a very long time. And surely know what he is capable of. How long have you known him, my Queen? A Year? Bearly enough time to know what he is competent of, is it not?"
Elizabeth looked at him unbelievably.
"So, what do you propose?"
"A truce, me and you together. Honestly..."
He stood up and moved to the window, looking out of it.
"...I might need you, my Queen. And you need me."
The Queen raised an eyebrow.
"And how do you need me? And why should I need you? Certainly, I can get these pieces of advice on the court from someone else, someone I trust more than you." 
She simply did not wish to spend that much time on a reconciliation she did not need. But there was a doubt, a doubt so tiny, many would consider it irrelevantly. And yet it poked her with every step, like a needle that was misplaced in her dress. The doubt that Henry, as much as he might love her, will eventually cast her away, for someone younger and more beautiful. If the king's closest companion is her friend and not her foe maybe he would help her.
"You may do as you wish, but when your eventual downfall reaches all you hold dear, I cannot aid you in your future misery."
Elizabeth walked to him and looked out of the window, she looked at Phillip, her darling boy, and she looked right into the face of the thing she could not lose. Anne was playing with him and Artemis, her little pup. Her paranoia reached out to her, clasped her in a tight grip and rendered her unable to act. Just the look she placed on what was at stake for her made her freeze.
"Very well, your Grace. I accept your reconciliation. I do only hope that our affinity may not be the reason for my possible downfall."
She held out her hand to him. He answered with a fast handshake and later left the room with a simple bow. Elizabeth later found a letter on her table, from her parents. The Medici seal was broken and the letter was already read. But it was from her parents. Maybe this partnership was not as bad as it seemed. She stared a few minutes down at the paper, light-brown in colour. Her mind raced from what the letter might contain: disappointments, hope or even gratitude. Elizabeth only knew that it was kept from her. But she did not hesitate to open it.

Elisabetta,
noi, io e tuo padre, siamo al correnti della situazione in cui ti trovi, ma non possiamo aiutarti in nessuna maniera. Non abbiamo più le relazioni con sua santità, il Papa, che avevamo una volta. Mia figlia, non credere mai che ti abbiamo abbandonato, e neanche il padre ti abbandonerà mai. Il padre è giusto e sa che dietro i tuoi atti c' era solo una ragazzina cieca per l' amore. Adesso più di mai sei dipendente dalle tue preghiere e dalla tua fede nella santa fede cattolica. Nonostante che hai fatto puoi sempre ripensare i peccati e dirigere l' Inghilterra verso la vera fede.

Giulietta de Medici

(Elizabeth,
we, your father and I are aware of the situation you are in, but we cannot help you in any way. We no longer have the relationship with His holiness, the Pope, that we once had. My daughter, never believes we have abandoned you, and the father will never abandon you either. The father is just and knows that behind your deeds was only a girl madly in love. Now more than ever you are addicted to your prayers and faith in the holy catholic faith. In spite of what you have done, you can always rethink your sins and steer England towards true faith once more.

Juliet de Medici)

Once she had read it she tossed the letter into the fire and watched the flames devour her mother's words bit by bit. She was just a naïve girl who already lost so much more than she wanted to give. She was the woman who was the reason for the new faith being introduced in this country. If she reversed everything she did, he stood once again for nothing. No, that was not a possibility.

.

.

.

.

.

.

This took a long sorry for the nearly two-month delay. I am very behind on school stuff so I had not the time, not the motivation to write anything. 

Added a little piece to better close the story. I wrote the Italian part myself since I know a little bit. The work I do for school is a lot and hard and I hope you excuse me for not being active at all. If you really want an update please show me with a comment. You won't be rude it gives me motivation :)